Although online school has been an adjustment from what we are generally used to, this new quarter serves as an opportunity to continue to adjust to our benefit and tweak our learning and studying styles. Personally, I find it helpful to reflect upon last quarter and see what worked and didn’t work for me in terms of organization and my study methods. After all, hindsight is 20/20! This way I am able to optimize my tools as well as identify spots to focus on. 

woman typing on laptop in cafe
Photo by Bonnie Kittle from Unsplash

Last quarter, by clearly writing out all my due dates and classes I was able to stay organized. I found that having a big written out calendar on my desk at all times was something that worked for me. In addition, I started always keeping a pad or post-it notes next to me to jot down whatever thoughts I had at the time. This would allow me to keep on task as I knew I would have the note to revisit later. 

Woman with planner
Photo by Paico Official from Unsplash

In psychology last quarter, I learned about the true vitality of sleep in memory consolidation. However looking back, ironically, I also noticed that I would find myself cramming before tests often. As a result, I hope to plan my time better throughout this quarter to study in advance. To greater prepare for this quarter, I turned to online resources allowing me to stay accountable. I downloaded the app Notion which is a productivity app that can be adjusted to one’s liking. 

Woman in white shirt working
Photo by Bruce Mars from Unsplash

Online school can get discouraging, but it’s important to remember that we are all doing things at our own pace. Mistakes are only learning opportunities and each quarter is a fresh start. I look forward to all the ups and downs this quarter will bring and can’t wait to look back and see all that I learned next quarter. 

Dana Morshed

UC Riverside '23

Dana is a second-year Cell, Molecular, and Developmental Biology major. In her free time, she enjoys going to the beach and volunteering.