Addiction and substance abuse is often a nuanced topic in our society. However, the stigma surrounding these issues creates a barrier in education. As a result, people are not able to identify necessary signs or provide proper tools and measures to help those in need. The issue of addiction and substance abuse does not discriminate, however. Often, only those in certain socioeconomic groups are able to access proper care. By failing to provide our community with the essential education and access to both proper care and preventative measures, we continue to perpetuate the problem and fail to address the issue at the cause. 

[bf_image id="nprbn6vph85jrw9sfbx9w69"]

According to the AddictionCenter almost 21 million Americans have an addiction, but only 10% of them get treatment. The first step to solving a problem is recognizing that there is a problem. Furthermore, it is essential to recognize the connections of mental health to the issue of addiction to start a more conducive way of treating both. In addition, it is also important to recognize the privilege associated with being able to receive treatment and the disproportionate socioeconomic impact of certain issues. 

[bf_image id="f9fj64wrk5z2k86hbr3fwmb"] An effective way to start combatting this issue would be to have more open conversations about the topic. For example, by presenting resources and educational presentations at target locations such as community centers and homeless shelters, we are able to increase awareness and provide options for care to those in need. This would result in greater access to help and the willingness for more people to reach out if they see someone suffering through a related issue. These conversations and presentations would work to destigmatize issues of addiction and substance abuse in our community and, ultimately, create a feeling of hope for those who may be suffering silently. 

[bf_image id="w6gtx64qww6snxmc8jk8kvsp"]By starting these conversations and being more open about issues we can start working towards better community health. Every little effort makes a difference.

Dana Morshed

UC Riverside '23

Dana is a second-year Cell, Molecular, and Developmental Biology major. In her free time, she enjoys going to the beach and volunteering.