My Thoughts on Season 17 of Grey’s Anatomy

SPOILER ALERT

In November 2020 insert year please, Grey’s Anatomy season 17 premiered featuring its characters amidst the current COVID-19 pandemic. With many new twists, I thoroughly enjoyed the new episodes and the way that the storyline continued while illustrating the truths of the pandemic. The characters are seen following personal protective equipment (PPE) guidelines, demonstrating their importance. The episodes shed light on several issues experienced throughout the pandemic, exemplifying the struggle with the shortage of PPE for healthcare workers. 

Courtesy of ABC We are able to see many of the harsh realities of COVID-19 through the experiences of the characters. The death of Dr. Bailey’s mother without her husband after contracting the virus in an assisted living facility and accounts of patients passing away alone/ with family over Facetime especially struck me. Seeing the emotional scenes of various struggling and tired doctors in the show only fostered an even greater appreciation for frontline workers. 

ABC Furthermore, the show delves into the issue of racial bias in the practice of medicine as well as the disproportionate impact of the virus on BIPOC. This integration of real-world issues increases audience awareness of disparities within our system and encourages them to really think about what they’re watching. The show also showcases the asymptomatic carrying of the virus and how harmful it can be as well as how quickly the condition of a COVID patient can change. Through these scenes, the show further communicates the seriousness of the virus.

Series' Anatomy Personally, watching a show demonstrate reality was very refreshing for me. The show brought a sense of togetherness in this fight against the virus. I loved the way each scene was executed and can’t wait to watch the next episodes.