It’s the middle of the quarter and that post-midterm rut seems to be creeping in. After finishing taking so many exams, I often find myself burnt out. However, I found that this is actually the perfect time to reflect and write new goals. This allows you to stay focused (or refocus) and finish the quarter strong. It’s also the perfect opportunity to check yourself after exams and make any tweaks that need to be made, for example changing up the method of study for a specific class. Here are some of the goals I have for myself for the rest of the quarter:

Fixing my daily routine. I always absolutely wreck my schedule studying during the midterm season even though I know it's a bad idea. Having an agenda I’m more used to would let me be a more functioning human being instead of trying to constantly catch up on lost sleep. Sleep is so important, especially for retaining information, but also just to feel rejuvenated and ready for whatever the day and rest of the quarter have to offer. 

[bf_image id="mtcfrgqvc5fvqt7g68jwbxx"]

Instead of slacking off or taking a suspiciously long break after midterms I want to make sure to continue reviewing lectures and suggested problems the day or close to when they are given. Evidence shows that the learning curve is more efficient by studying the day after or the day material is first introduced. By doing this, I will be less stressed when midterms come up again because I will have not dropped the ball after the last midterm. 

[bf_image id="fpqpp9n64rj5n3fvs8bp2c6h"] I also want to make sure to use my phone less before bed. After studying and working all day, scrolling on my phone before bed seems like a nice break, but it's so easy to get sucked in. I’ve been having trouble sleeping and going on my phone for so long before does not help. I’ve set timers on my apps, but I need to be more diligent about following them. 

[bf_image id="9tnvrgp8ck7gg97bjvvg8pnc"] Reflecting and trying to better yourself is so important because our lives are so dynamic. I highly recommend physically writing out goals to make them tangible and keep yourself accountable. These are just a few small goals for the next few weeks. Here’s to us all finishing the quarter strong!

Dana Morshed

UC Riverside '23

Dana is a second-year Cell, Molecular, and Developmental Biology major. In her free time, she enjoys going to the beach and volunteering.