Shows to Binge While Escaping the Drama at Thanksgiving

Avoid social interaction the right way: binge-watching TV shows on Netflix.

1- Parks and RecreationWhether you are in a food coma or avoiding small-talk, Parks and Recreation is sure to distract you with some good laughs. This political satire is full of characters with eccentric personalities whose interactions allow for some pretty funny moments. You can probably skip the first season, but I promise you that Parks and Recs other 6 seasons are a fun, light-hearted watch. Ron Swanson is definitely a mood for anyone during Thanksgiving. Here’s a clip or watch the full show here.

2- LegaciesLegacies is a spinoff show from The Vampire Diaries and The Originals that follows the lives of mystical teenagers who attend the Salvatore Boarding School for the Young Gifted (a.k.a. supernatural). It is a show full of supernatural creatures, mystery, and some romance. The dialogue can be a little cringy, but the characters are full of heart. You don’t need to be a fan of The Vampire Diaries or The Originals to sink into this show, but there are plenty of easter eggs for those who were. This show’s wacky plotlines are sure to make you forget any awkward moments from around the dinner table. Watch a trailer or the first season here.

3- Good GirlsGood Girls is a show about three best friends and mothers, Beth, Ruby, and Annie, who are up against personal and financial struggles. They decide to take some control back in their lives by robbing a store, which leads them down a crazy life of crime. They balance motherhood, their jobs (both legal and illegal), and men who constantly get in their way. This show is full of humor, while also conveying the strength, courage, and powerful relationships of women. If something your crazy uncle says makes you want to burn down the patriarchy, then this show is for you! Watch a trailer or the first season here.

4- Gilmore GirlsGilmore Girls is great to watch whether you have a relationship to your mother like Lorelai and Emily, or Lorelai and Rory. Gilmore Girls is about the relationship between mother and daughter, Lorelai and Rory as they live in their small town of Star Hallow that is filled with wacky characters. The beginning of the series follows Lorelai restarting her tense relationship with her mother, Emily, and father when she has to ask them for money for Rory’s new private school. Gilmore Girls is here to make you laugh, cry, and get incredibly frustrated with Rory who you will love or hate. This is a show I love to watch with my own mom as we eat leftovers and escape reality. Watch the full show here.

5- Las chicas del cable (Cable Girls)Yes, this show is a Spanish drama, but trust me, it is definitely worth reading subtitles (do not switch it to the English dub) to watch this show. This show follows four women, Lidia, Carlota, Maraga, and Angeles, in 1920s Spain as they work for a telephone company. They have to come together as friends to overcome a society that does not see women as equals. This show is full of wonderful female friendships, suspense, and, yes, some romance. The first half of the fifth and final season premieres on February 14th, 2020, so binge this show now while you try to avoid the headaches your relatives give you. Watch a trailer or binge the first four seasons here.