Campus Celeb: Christine Chen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.
Our campus celebrity this week is journalist Christine Chen.

Christine Chen was born and raised in the San Francisco. She graduated from Miramonte high School and decided to attend UC Berkeley. She earned a Bachelor of Arts degree, double majoring in English and Mass Communications Theory.

She started off as a reporter and weather anchor in 1991 in Great Falls, Montana for KRTV and was selected by CBS News in New York. She then became an elite group of 5 journalists in CBS Minority Correspondent Apprentice. In 1996, Christine received the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (NATAS) Northwest Chapter Emmy Award for Individual Achievement in the News Reporter category.

She got 10 EMMY Award nominations and won twice as a journalist from the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. In 2006, the Obama campaign selected Christine Chen to emcee his public campaign kickoff event for Seattle. She left Fox and launched a new business show on KCTS, “About The Money with Christine Chen.” 

She is now the managing partner of Chen Communications, a marketing consulting group based in Seattle, and also a yoga instructor in New York City.

Fun fact: Her husband, Richard Velazquez is also a Cal Bear and they met on the salsa floor at Century Ballroom.

Source:

Hi my name is Monica Morales and I am a sophomore at UC Berkeley. I am majoring in Media Studies and hope to one day work in television or for Vogue magazine. I love to travel and I love sports. I am currently a student ambassador for both Bobble water bottles and for sports app Fancred.