Wives and Daughters Theatre Performance at UBC this November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Vancouver, BC – The theatre performance Wives and Daughters will be debuting November 9th, 2017 to November 25th, 2017 at the Frederic Wood Theatre. The play, based on the 1860’s novel by Elizabeth Gaskell, was adapted by UBC Theatre and Film Professor Jacqueline Firkins and will be directed by Courtenay Dobbie. Featuring performances by the incredibly talented UBC BFA Actors with the help of Design colleagues from the Theatre Design and Production program, the show is bound to be exceptional.  

The play tells the story of Molly, a seventeen-year-old whose world is turned upside down when her country doctor father marries an overbearing stepmother with a reckless daughter of her own. Ahead of its time, Molly’s story is one of feminist struggles through the exploration of love in all its forms while acknowledging the societal limitations placed on women who pursue their dreams.

This charming story is sure to delight viewers while also discussing important themes relevant today. The female driven crew only reiterates the powerful feminist message behind this play, demonstrating how far we’ve come since Gaskell’s original novel. 

Wives and Daughters opens tonight, November 9th, so be sure to grab your tickets and your best girlfriends to support local UBC talent! Also check out their Facebook and website

Listing Information:

Tickets – $11.50 for students, $16.50 for seniors, and $24.50 for adults 

Dates – November 9 – 25, 2017 

Location –  Frederic Wood Theatre, 6353 Crescent Road 

Photos taken by Emily Cooper 

Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.