This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

In the past few years, I’ve discovered the world of plus-size fashion. As plus-size bloggers, models, and body positivity gather more attention, many retailers are emerging with fashionable, size inclusive clothing lines. 

The challenges that I’ve encountered with plus-size clothing is that it can be quite pricey and/or not my style (many plus size stores cater more towards older women). Here are my top 5 stores for current and affordable plus size clothing:

1. Asos

Asos is an online UK store that carries straight and plus-sizes – they also recently launched a mens plus-size line! They have a variety of brands which vary in prices. I love their clothing, it’s always good quality, and they have a beautiful selection of formal dresses. My only issue is that the 2 times I have shipped my order to Canada, it has taken almost 2 months, so since then I always ship it to a mail carrier in the States then pick it up (gotta love being in Vancouver), which takes less than 2 weeks. However, I know some people who ship it to Canada and get it in a week or two, so it’s up to you! (Source)

2. Boohoo

Ah, Boohoo… Ok, I have a love/hate relationship with this online UK store. I have ordered multiple times and it’s usually great, but it can be hit or miss. That being said, I’ve been really impressed with about 90% of my items. They have amazing, trendy pieces, and it is insanely cheap. They always have sales (ex. 50% off everything) which rotate every few days, so wait until there’s a good coupon! Bonus: the shipping to Canada only takes about 2 weeks. (Source)

3. Addition Elle

Addition Elle is an exclusively plus-size Canadian store. Although it can be pricey, they have great sales and also occasionally give out coupons. This store is appropriate for all ages with a range of professional and more current pieces. I’ve found some really cute things here, as well as developed a slight addiction to their underwear. There are stores in Burnaby, Langley and Pitt Meadows, as well as a great online website. (Source)

4. Forever 21

I’m sure that we all have mixed feelings about this one, but I have had great luck here. Not all Forever 21’s carry the plus size line, but a few months ago I hit the jackpot upon discovering that the Metrotown one carries a huge selection (I was in shock, and filled my arms with as many clothes as possible). I personally love their jeans, and you can’t beat the selection and prices of their items. I find that in-store has a way better selection than the Canadian website, but I have still found some decent things online. (Source)

5. Old Navy

I’m not sure when Old Navy got such good stuff, but I’m never disappointed. In stores, sizes go up to a XXL and pants an 18, with even more sizes available online. Old Navy is great for basics, they always have sales and even some really cute, unique pieces – I have found so many cute jumpsuits here. Although I’ve found that the sizing can be a bit off, I always find excellent items that I keep reaching for in my closet. (Source

I hope this helps! Never forget that you’re so beautiful and worthy in all of your uniqueness, and that your outer appearance does not define you. 

Kaylyn Goossen is a first-year student in general arts (no, she does not know what she wants to major in or what career to pursue). She spent 6 months in Europe after graduating high school and plans to travel more once her bank account will allow it. Kaylyn enjoys shopping, being hugged, reading, and baking.