10 Things You Should Know About The Birth Control Pill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Thinking about starting the birth control pill? Worried about all the talk of the side effects everyone talks about? Confused by the multitude of brands and hormones that all these little tablets are infused with? Don’t sweat it. In this article, we may not put all your fears to rest – but we’ll help educate you a little more on common concerns and vital facts you should know before getting started on it.

I recently embarked on a search for the perfect pill for me – but to my surprise, it wasn’t so easy despite several doctors telling me it didn’t matter which one I chose. Since I was aware that I may have existing hormone inbalances, I wasn’t too comfortable with starting out on the first brand my doctor recommended, and was shocked that my concerns were met with relative indifference. So I took matters into my own hands and did my research – and after clicking countless links upon links reading up on all the various side effects of the Pill and what it meant for my body, I think it’s important that others in my situation are aware of certain things before making this decision. And if you’re already on it, this is super useful for you too!

1. Birth control pills are either progestin-only (since some people naturally have more oestrogen) or a combination pill of oestrogen and progestin (natural or man-made substance with similar properties to natural progesterone). All combination pills contain oestrogen (typically ethinyl estradiol) and one of eight kinds of progestin. This website gives more details about the potential effects of different progestins in terms of progestational, estrogenic and androgenic activity on the female body. Bear in mind that no one ever reacts the same!

2. Voice any concerns to a doctor. It sounds simple enough, but trust me, a lot of us get easily overriden by doctors who think you have nothing to worry about. Some may act nonchalant about birth control pills, but having concerns about side effects, hormone impacts and long term risks is fully within your right. It’s not just a prescription for cough syrup or flu medicine, it’s basically redesigning your entire hormonal system – that’s kind of a big deal! 

3. If you have (or think you may have) existing hormone imbalances, ask for a referral to an endocrinologist or for a full sample of hormones to be done via blood test (this should be done on day three of your cycle). Knowing your existing hormone levels can definitely help aid your choice of birth control pill.

4. Remember that many of the milder side effects are common (mood swings, hair gain/loss, bloating, headaches) and it’s important to give the Pill a 3-month trial, unless the side effects become unbearable. Many times, the body will regulate after 3 months and side effects will largely disappear. It’s important to monitor side effects, especially breakthrough or consistent bleeding, as this may indicate ineffectiveness of the pill in your body.

Yeah, we all hate days like this. But hopefully it won’t be for long a few months after your body gets used to the Pill!

5. Hormones and dosages can be confusing! For example, taking a low-dose of Levonorgestrel (a progestin with high androgenic effects) may have the same result as taking a higher dose of Desogestrel (a progestin with very low androgenic effects). Each pill has a different balance of hormones, so it’s important to do your own research and come armed with specific questions to your doctor. This site gives a great overview of the main birth control pill brands and their hormone dosages.

6. Some brands of pills are monophasic (they contain equal amounts of hormone throughout all 21 active pills in the pack), biphasic (which contain two different levels of hormones), or triphasic (which contain three different levels of hormones). It is very important to take biphasic and triphasic bills in the same order they are presented in your pack! Here are a few examples of several pill brands that you may have heard about for each of these types:

Monophasic pills: Alesse, Brevicon, Loestrin, Ortho-Cept, Ortho-Cyclin, Yasmin.

Biphasic pills: Ortho-Novum 10/11, Mircette

Triphasic pills: Ortho-Novum 7/7/7, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Tri-Levien, Tri-Norinyl and Triphasil.  

7. Don’t smoke while you’re on the Pill! Smoking increases the risk of blood clots, strokes and heart attacks. The risks are dose-dependent, that is, they increase if you are older, smoke more, and/or if your pill has a higher oestrogen level.

Big NO-NO.

8. The more stringent you are in taking your pill at the same time each day (and not missing a dose), the lower chance of becoming pregnant. Missing even one pill can lead to pregnancy, so be diligent!

9. Birth control pills CAN have negative interactions with other medications, in particular certain antibiotics, anti-fungal medications, anti-depressants and even some natural supplements. Always mention what birth control you are taking to medical professionals who are prescribing you medicine.

10. Don’t believe all the media hype out there! It may seem like every other day that a lawsuit is being filed against common birth control pill brands, but bear in mind that you have access to the latest medical research in your own doctor’s office. Did you know that your doctor can print out the latest research done to validate or invalidate recent claims of side effects of the Pill? It’s worth getting that peace of mind, so if you’ve been worrying about all the advertisements advocating for the dangers of your pill brand, go ask your doctor about it!

So there you have it. A couple of tips go a long way so make sure you know what you’re getting into, choose the right pill for you and take the necessary precautions if you have been on the Pill for a while already. Above all, don’t be scared – be smart!

Tip: If you get your prescription from a UBC doctor, you can get your birth control for free if you pick up one pack every month at the University Pharmacy!

For more information, this site does a good job of explaining the history of and how birth control pills work! 

Disclaimer: This writer is not a medical professional. All advice is gathered from the writer’s individual research but is in no way the representations or advice of a professional doctor.

Aisha is a fourth-year Geosciences Major at UBC. She enjoys a variety of activities ranging from tree-hugging, sketching, yoga to cooking delicious veggie dishes. She loves to play in soil-water, and is a dedicated member of the Worm Watch in Vancouver.