Everything You Need to Know About Drizzy’s New Mixtape

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Baltimore chapter.

If you’re reading this, you’re right on time to get the dish on Drake’s latest mixtape, which was rumored to complete his contract with the Cash Money record label, If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late.

First thought? Well, his attempt at “pulling a Beyoncé” and releasing an unannounced mixtape worked just fine. Sure, the explosion wasn’t quite the size of Bey’s Drunk in Love drop, but it was still enough to make the Billboard’s Hot R&B/Hip Hop Songs chart — that’s right, the entire mixtape made the list, and that’s pretty impressive.

Second thought? The 28-year-old Canadian rapper never fails to deliver work that doesn’t affect his fans. Drake’s mixtape was a slight steer away from his sadder, “I just got out of a relationship” flow. This new mixtape has a ton of songs that give the same energy one would get from listening to a good trap song. Just listen to “Know Yourself.” With lyrics like “Runnin’ through the 6 with my woes” and “My city too turned up” this track is definitely not a love song.

Although he seems to be past his typical “heartbreak Drake” stage, he still has some tracks that reveal he hasn’t strayed too far away from making records that make listeners reminisce about a lover or maybe an ex. Smooth tracks like “Wednesday Night Interlude (feat. PARTYNEXTDOOR) and “Jungle” add a more romantic feel.

Overall, Drake’s new mixtape deserves to be categorized with the rest of the albums and EPs that are played continuously from start to finish. If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late is easily every Hip Hop lover’s new favorite pick… That is, until his actual album comes out, of course. 

Hi, there! My name is Laurise McMillian, and I am the founder of Her Campus UBalt. Here at the University of Baltimore I study Digital Communication and work on campus as a graphic designer. I'm absolutely obsessed with all things social media. I'm also very into fashion and health. Feel free to find me on Instagram @LauriseMC.