photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

How to Have a Successful Friendsgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

A friend once said to me there are only three things you need in life; Friends, Family, and Food. This simple philosophy is what makes Thanksgiving one of the best holidays. As collegiettes we find ourselves coming into the world of adulthood, and along the way we make friends that are willing to walk beside us in this journey. Friends are the family you get to choose, so it only seems appropriate to celebrate that, with a Friendsgiving! Here are some tips on how to have a successful Friendsgiving this holiday season.

Step 1: Invite the crew

We all love our friends, so let’s show them we care! Take the time to send invitations. Planning ahead shows your friends this isn’t just another get together, it’s a real a Friendsgiving. Also don’t worry if you can only think of 4 people you’d like to invite. If you live in a small apartment trying to fit a lot of people into your house is stressful. It’s much more enjoyable to talk with your closest friends, rather than trying to mingle with strangers.

Step 2: Find friends who can cook

It may seem as if planning the menu is a stressful job, but it’s really not, it’s all about coordinating. As the host you will be in charge of making the turkey. If you don’t feel up to the task call your mother, she will have the best cooking advice. Then the appetizers, side dishes, and desserts can be brought by your guests. If you don’t want to be faced by a room of hangry people, be sure the appetizers are brought by a friend that always arrives on time. Also ask about any dietary restrictions and provide options for gluten free or vegetarian guests.

Step 3: Don’t forget the drinks

The general rule is everyone should bring wine, and at least one guest should bring a bottle of whiskey. If you’re looking to get a little more creative with your alcohol, there are plenty of recipes. One of my personal favorites is Holiday Sangria, or if you’re feeling adventurous try these apple pie jello shots. The host should also provide water and lots of ice. We can’t have our guests getting dehydrated! (In other words totally trashed.)

Step 4: Find some entertainment

While eating should be the main event, afterwards you don’t want guests sitting around with nothing to do. Invest in your favorite board game. Second hand stores are the best places to find board games for a great price. Card games are another easy and fun option. Even consider making a craft. Making something together can provide a great bonding moment and they’ll have a little souvenir to take home.

Step 5: Decorate!

Decorating lets you exercise your creativity and will get people excited. Hit up the craft section and gather any supplies that is fall related. You could use a wall and create a backdrop for group photos. The table is another area you can showcase your decorating skills. There should be a fall inspired centerpiece along with place settings. You can even add a personal touch by making name cards for each guest.

Step 6: Find the best playlist

We all have that one friend that will create a playlist for any occasion. Now is their time to shine. Be sure you have a good speaker so all guests can enjoy the jams. Don’t be afraid to throw it back to old time favorites, such as Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, or Ella Fitzgerald to set the cozy mood.

Step 7: Enjoy!

Leave cleaning up for the morning, and show your friends how thankful you are to have them in your life.

Photos: 1-4, 5, 6, 7,  8, 9

SaveSave

SaveSave

Sara is a junior double majoring in Journalism and Enviromental and Natural Resources. She was born in Northern Kentucky but has lived in Laramie for 10 years now. She has a communications internship with the Wyoming EPSCoR program and writes for their blog. She also works as a lifegaurd and swim instructor at the local recreation center. To balance out her busy life Sara loves to read, do yoga, and plan her adventures abroad. She enjoys the small things that make life wonderful including rain, green grass, and coffee. One day she hopes to live in Seattle, write for an environmental publication, and travel the world to cover her stories.
Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.