This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

With this semester quickly coming to an end, companies are seeking to fill positions for the spring and summer.  Whether it’s an awesome internship or your dream full-time job, here are a few tips to ace that interview! 

1. Research the company and position

There’s no better way to impress an interviewer than by subtly showing off your knowledge of the company.  People hiring want to know that you are invested and interested in the position and the business as a whole. Knowing what the company does, what they are looking for, and what they value will help you tailor your responses to questions and make you a memorable candidate for the position.  

2. Think of stories for everything on your resume

Print off a copy of your resume and write out reminders of stories for everything on there. Come up with memorable events from each of your listed experiences and be able to tie them to a positive trait or something you learned.  For each of your listed skills, come up with at least two instances of using or gaining those skills. Being well prepared for questions about your resume will prove its authenticity and help you appear more confident. 

3. Take notes

Take preliminary notes about the company, position, and your resume, but also take notes during the interview. Ask your interviewers questions, listen to the general information they provide, and write down what they say. Taking notes during an interview displays an interest and importance in what the interviewer is talking about. It shows you are taking this opportunity more seriously by wanting to remember what was said for future review.  Just remember not to stare at your paper the whole time!  

4. Practice, practice, practice 

A few days before an interview, have a friend ask you questions that might come up and listen to your responses. Talk with your friend afterward to figure out what you did well and what you can improve on. The night or morning before an interview, talk to yourself. Ask yourself potential interview questions, revise your responses, and even come up with several alternative responses for the same question. Review your resume, practice speaking professionally, and practice speaking with confidence.  

Preparation and practice are key in having a successful interview.  Remember that, put the work in, and you’ll have a much better chance of getting hired.  Happy interviewing!