Getting Ready for Fall the Right Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

As the leaves change and the short burst of warm weather begins its sad departure from Laramie, every man woman and poorly dressed teenager begins their clothing transition. The spaghetti strap dress turns into the Aztec cardigan, miniskirts turn into maxi dresses, shorts turn into slacks, and flip flops turn into the abomination we all know as UGG boots. Lastly the use of leggings doesn’t shift too substantially. They’re still used inappropriately, and as a substitution for pants, which I find absolutely unacceptable.  

Let us backtrack and discuss the qualifications I carry for these astute and correct observations. My name is Paul Ditty… That’s right girls!  A guy has tainted the broth that is Her Campus, in the best way of course. May I also add that I am a card carrying homosexual, so… I’m better than you, my opinions are always correct, making them facts, and my fashion sense rivals that of the most style-conscious celebrity. Oh, I have a Bachelor of Science, emphasis in Textiles and Merchandising, and a minor in apparel design From the University of Wyoming. GO POKES! Please stop losing football games I’m begging you! Anyway that’s all the introduction I feel is necessary. Any questions, comments, or concerns? Please feel free to ask away. I’m an open September issue (That’s a Vogue reference for all of you children out there that didn’t understand).Let us begin our exploration and deconstruction of a few fashion trends this fall and discuss the DO’s and DO NOT’s to make this season a flawless montage of all things fabulous.

First, it is far past time for the UGG boot to make an exit. Let me be clear. This isn’t the designer’s fault. The boot isn’t terrible. It is what you women have done to it that brings a tear to my eye. UGG Australia made them to keep your feet warm, this function based design evolved into a must have accessory that is not used properly, and it’s truly tragic to see such an expensive item used like a $2 bracelet from Forever 21. This is a stone cold fact, girls. When I see someone walking around in Autumn (my favorite season) wearing UGG boots and a pair of shorts, my skin crawls. This… THIS, is the reason we cannot have nice things. So buy some new boots girls. Bring combat back, or rock the moccasin, because you have beaten the dead UGG horse into oblivion. Next, let’s talk about leggings. These too were invented for warmth, and unfortunately that has evolved into something catastrophic. Leggings worn as pants. I will let that sentence sink in for a moment. When did it become acceptable to wear these spandex undergarments with nothing over them? Is this hip? Is this cute? The answer is a resounding NO. It’s terrible and you need to stop this instant. Leggings were developed for the function of keeping you warm and making you look skinnier than you already are. Let’s leave it at that and start wearing real pants again. Enough said.

(Ariana Grande committing BOTH fashion sins)  

Now that we’ve handled my two biggest fall pet peeves, we can dive into what the fashion cycle is serving up this season.

The timeless white and black look that we all adore was seen all over the runways. These two colors are completely compatible with each other, and they are never wrong. Even if someone were to try their hardest to create a black and white fail, they probably wouldn’t succeed. So fish out these shades this season and wear them proudly. Wearing white after Labor Day is a rebellious and perfect trend that should be revered by all.

1980, most of us weren’t around yet, but “the decade that fashion forgot” is helping jog some memories this season. Graphic prints, oversized everything, and color blocking ravaged the runway, and this whirlwind of excesses showed us that more is more. So break out the shoulder pads and wear them proudly. 1980 is coming back into focus.

Last but certainly not least the 70’s summer has evolved into winter 2015-2016. These loud prints and fringed fantasies are living once more for the fall and winter. So breakout the Aztec prints, fur lined coats, and fringed cardigans. 1970 is happening, again.

I hope that I’ve shed some light and successfully shared my opinions on a few fashion faux paus, and trends for this season. Looking good is a big part of feeling good, and there is absolutely no excuse for being improperly adorned this fall and winter. Fashion is subjective, but bad is bad, and ugly is ugly. Look and feel fabulous this season, and follow your heart and head to proper style choices. Keep your eyes on the runway. “That’s all.”