Giving Tuesday: Add Sprinkles to Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

You’ve heard of Black Friday and Cyber Monday, but you might not know about Giving Tuesday, which is becoming more and more popular every year. Giving Tuesday is all about philanthropy, and after a weekend full of shopping, it’s a great chance to give back! This year UVic’s Alumni Relations are hosting a Giving Tuesday event, offering you the chance to donate and #addsprinkles to academic life here at UVic. 

In the past, Alumni Relations have used the donations they receive to fund grants for clubs and teams. These grants have gone to the Women’s Field Hockey Team, AIESEC Victoria, Global Water Brigades, and Formula Motorsport. The opportunity these grants offered gave these students the opportunity to take their time here at UVic to the next level.

The theme of this year’s event is ‘adding sprinkles.’ The sprinkles are what make yummy treats like cupcakes and donuts extraordinary, and that’s what your support does for UVic students! Every donation, big or small, goes back to the student to make their time here special.

Tomorrow, Monday November 28th, volunteer students will be around campus at info booths, as well as adding whip cream and sprinkles to your hot drinks for a small donation. You can donate on campus, online, or over the phone, and you can find out more at the Giving Tuesday website.

Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison