Honey Zafar: Diving into Undergraduate Research

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by: Carol Eugene Park

This week, I got the wonderful opportunity of interviewing my friend Honey Zafar. Honey is a 3rd year student who studies Human Health and Disease, and is extensively involved in undergraduate research. She has held many research assistant positions in various institutions, from OISE to University Health Network (UHN). Her experience started at the Research Opportunity Program (ROP), which allows second-year students to work at a lab of their choice for course credit. Let’s find out more about her research journey!

What motivated you to explore research opportunities in your undergrad career?

As an aspiring researcher, I knew that I needed to begin immersing into research during my undergrad as many programs look for experiences in various research disciplines. I also wanted to make sure that I enjoyed conducting research and that it was the right pathway for me.

What was experience applying for ROP like?

The application process for ROP is very simple. When I had applied in early 2016, it was a two page document with basic questions that would help the researcher determine whether or not I would make a good candidate for their particular lab.

In what ways did your experience in ROP help you?

I believe the ROP experience has allowed me to get my “foot in the door” in the field of research. The opportunity is designed so that you are able to directly connect with your supervisor and lab members which gives you the chance to ask questions and form intimate relationships. The program typically has a poster presentation in which students have the opportunity to present the work they worked on during the duration of the program- a very unique and memorable experience!

You have worked as a research assistant in prestigious institutions like SickKids and UHN. How did you find out about these positions and how did you apply for them?

The University of Toronto is known for its research. There is so many interesting and groundbreaking research that happens at this institution and there are always opportunities to help as a research assistant. Personally, I have sought out research opportunities through the Career Learning Network (CLN) website and Facebook research groups!

What exactly does being a research assistant entail, either in a general sense in your particular field of interest?

The tasks associated with the role as a research assistant depends on the area of research as well as the particular project. Certain labs may require wet-lab procedures which may involve conducting PCR, DNA extraction and preparing reagents. Other labs may require testing participants, coding and managing data obtained from studies. The tasks will be designated based on the nature of the project.

What do you wish you had known about the application process? 

I wish I had known that the application process is not as daunting as it appears! I follow the philosophy that simply applying instantly gives me a 50% chance of acceptance. Had I not applied, that percentage would [sic] drop to a 0. I don’t know about you guys, but 50 sounds a lot better than 0! 

Any tips for those looking into undergraduate research?

Securing a research position is not as scary as it appears in first year. The ROP program is a wonderful starting point in beginning your research career! I truly believe that even if you do not think you will obtain a position, apply anyways [sic]. Simply writing a application has its benefits on its own. Do not be afraid to approach researchers, attend seminars and most importantly learn to accept rejection! Declined a position? Move on! There are many research opportunities to invest your time in, so don’t take it personally! 

The ROP299 Program is offered for students during the summer before their second year and during the entirety of their second year. Applications for the upcoming year are typically accepted in March, with interviews in April or May. The program has also piloted a ROP399 course for third-year students who wish to begin their research journey. You can check out the applications and project descriptions for the 2017-2018 year over here.

All images are credited to the interviewee.