Stress: the Good, the Bad, and How to Cope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Stress is an environmental demand that is placed on us. Whether big or small, it can be positive (eustress) or negative (distress) depending on how we perceive a certain stressor. Eustress and distress were first identified by Selye in 1976.  He explained that eustress is used as a motivator and pushes you to optimal arousal where you can perform well and overcome challenges. He also explained that distress can do the extreme opposite and immobilize you.

This is usually better determined when we evaluate stress as acute or chronic. Acute stress involves short-term stressors. Blood pressure and heart rate rise to accommodate a certain situation where a person needs to react fast, such as an attack. A good example would be getting ready to kill that spider on the wall of your bedroom. The body then continues to relax, and normal body function resumes after. Chronic stress could be stress that persists for a longer period of time, or just a shorter one, but it may have impact on your health through rumination. Worrying about the midterm that is coming up in three weeks can be considered chronic stress.

So what are some good coping mechanisms?

1. Problem focused coping:Problem focused coping directly address the demands of a situation. Ex: pay off that bill, finish that assignment, get your groceries, and feed your cat (I really hope you’re feeding your cat) … It is important to seek information and set goals to address an issue. Let’s say you score badly on a midterm. You have to remember that getting a bad mark on that midterm does not define you as a person. It does not mean you are stupid or incompetent. It just means that you have to get up, see where you have gone wrong, re-adjust your study methods, and try again.

2. Emotional focused coping:When you can’t get something done and off your plate through problem focused coping, you should learn how to deal with the emotions that are associated with the stressor. Some good methods include:

Venting/talking to a friend: going out for coffee with a friend and talking to them about what’s bothering you could be a great relief. They could even offer some constructive feedback. Remember to be careful of your friend’s emotions and needs as well. In the end, good communication is about listening and being heard.

Reframing the situation: sometimes you need to reframe your ideas and see another point of view. Although it might not seem possible in the moment, you should let your issue settle and revisit it at a later time. It definitely helps.

Journaling: keeping a journal may seem like an old idea to you. However, it is a really helpful method to get your thoughts out and reflect on them later after reframing. Monitoring your progress can be therapeutic within itself.

Exercise and meditation: exercise and meditation have proven to lower stress levels significantly. A stressed body won’t help a stressed mind.

Eat well: eating healthy is necessary for a healthy lifestyle. Without proper nutrition, you are depriving your body from the energy it needs to protect itself. Therefore, make sure you eat healthy, well-balanced meals to suit all of your nutritional needs.

Sleep well: as university students, we tend to put off sleep. However, in our age group, we need an average of 7-9 hours.

Let us know how you cope with stress in the comments below! 

Sources1, 2, 3Hadjistavropoulos, Thomas, and Heather D. Hadjistavropoulos.Fundamentals of Health Psychology. N.p.: n.p., n.d. Print.