SSA-AÉS: Wine & Cheese Event Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Wine & Cheese?
This past Monday (the 16th of November), the Faculty of Science and the Science Student Association of uOttawa put together a wonderful wine and cheese event. Even though a lot of tasty beverages and hors d’oeuvres were consumed that night, the real treat was being able to talk to professors about their research. At the beginning of the night, I was able to sit at a table with my fellow Science Student Association members and browse the pamphlets of professors with different coloured squares indicating what they were looking for (whether it be an honour’s projects, volunteering, summer work, etc). About an hour into the event, the professors started to pool in and collect curious glances from the students. It was nice to see other students genuinely interested in research that these professors were sharing with us. The range of topics was widespread, too, from the study of isotopes to the study of zebrafish. Basically, there was something that would’ve had significant appeal to any student in any science program.

Why is this a good idea for science students?
The simplest way to put this is that getting your name out in science is probably one of the most important things you can do. Even if you don’t plan on helping with any research at the current point in your life or if you’re just a first year testing the waters, it’s a good idea to talk to these professors and to show them that you’re genuinely interested in their work. Who knows, a few years down the road you may be looking to work in a lab during the summer months. What better way to be able to fulfill that goal than to make connections now with people who could very well become your mentors later?

Overall Review
When looking back onto this fun night, I’d definitely give it five empty wine glasses out of five (if you’re wondering where the wine went; I drank it). I stayed from 6pm to 9pm with no shortage of food to keep me full and interesting people to talk to. The location was also beautiful, being room 112 in Tabaret Hall. The ceilings were high and the atmosphere was smooth and relaxing. You could hear the volume of chatter slowly increase throughout the night, too, which gave you a sense of excitement whenever you bumped into someone you knew. Overall, I would 100% recommend attending this wine and cheese event next year. You never know, this event could very well be a turning point in your science career if you meet the right people! 

Picture Credits

Cover Picture

Jesse Lesniowski, a 22 year-old student at uOttawa in the Environmental Science program. Loves writing, gardening, coffee, wine and making new memories.