New Holiday Hotspot: The Ottawa Christmas Market is Back in Town!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

If you’re looking to get some holiday spirit, I have the perfect place for you! The Ottawa Christmas Market has just rolled back into town, and it’s even bigger and better than last year! If you’ve never been, you’ve got to try it. Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, it is sure to get you into a cheery and gleeful state of mind!

The market runs every weekend starting November 26 and runs every weekend until Christmas Day on December 25 at Lansdowne Park. That gives you plenty of to go check it out at least once (or maybe twice) for yourself! The market has a mix of indoor and outdoor stalls to buy some traditional holiday snacks such as hot chocolate, cookies and chocolates. Out of all the yummy food and drinks, I would definitely recommend apple cider; it was super warm and sweet and just overall delicious.

If that wasn’t enough, the market also has multiple stalls with small business owners selling these home-baked goods, cooked foods, handmade arts and crafts and more. If you’re looking for some unique and Ottawa-made small gifts, I would definitely recommend you check out the incredible creators that are showcased in this market. I was able to snag some fantastic homemade scones, British pasty and a knitting bowl present for my grandmother!

Finally, the market is a fantastic place to go and socialize with loved ones. The market runs on Friday evening and all day Saturday through Sunday. During the day, you can calmly browse the vendor stalls for some quick and fun holiday shopping. At night, the market invites local artists to perform some classic Christmas tunes. The market is the perfect atmosphere for a catch-up with longtime friends, post-exam celebration or even, in my case, the cutest date night!

If you’re like me and already planning your post-exam holiday break, I hope you’ll add the Ottawa Christmas Market to your list!

Gen is a fourth year student majoring in Health Science: Population and Public Health stream. She loves yoga, travelling, caring for her grandparents at home and video games!