10 Movies That Will Make You Want To Go Back to School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It’s back-to-school season! Time to blow all your money on back-to-school clothing, supplies and more. However, this time may also bring up unwanted stress about the new school year to come. And what better way to unwind and encourage the back-to-school spirit than watching the best school-themed films? Here’s a list of my top 10 favourite teen films to get excited for this new school year. (No they are not in order <3)

1. Grease (1978)

Grease is a movie I grew up with and I just could never get enough of it. It is such a fun and lively movie filled with classic songs, the meaning of friendship and a great love story as well.

2. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)

Everyone I know who has watched this movie has completely fallen in love with it. A classic story about making the best of high school’s last moments before graduation. It is timeless, it is funny, it is the moment.

3. Super Bad (2007)

Do I really need to explain? Just watch it.

4. Heathers (1988)

Heathers is a dark, twisted take on the typical high school film. It’s funny and ironic but still provides that scary, thrilling feeling that everyone craves. Give it a chance, even if you’re not a huge fan favourite of dark movies. You won’t regret it!

5. The Perks of Being A Wallflower (2012)

Based on the best-selling novel by Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being A Wallflower is wholehearted, sincere and just brings so many emotions to life throughout the movie. It captures love, friendship, pain, and all that comes with growing up.

6. Lady Bird (2017)

If you still haven’t watched this movie… what are you doing with your life?!! Lady Bird showcases a teen girl trying to navigate her rocky relationship with her mother whilst experiencing the ups and downs of her senior year in high school. It really portrays the struggles of adolescents in such a relatable yet beautiful way.

7. Mean Girls (2004)

How could I not put Mean Girls on this list? It is a fan favourite for a reason; a female-driven movie on the real experience of how high school is like from a girl’s perspective. Feminine evil, cliques, the expectations of just being a girl in high school. I don’t think I need to say much else because I haven’t met anyone who still hasn’t watched this but I watch this movie every year with my friends before the back-to-school season.

8. Hairspray (2007)

Yes, I am low-key a theatre kid… I’m sorry! Hairspray is great though, I promise! Unless you completely despise musical theatre… Hairspray is a campy, cheery feel-good movie that just makes you want to dance. It also brings awareness to the discrimination against black individuals in the 1960s and offers ways of understanding racism today. Throughout the movie, characters advocate for these issues as well. Also, John Travolta plays a secondary lead FEMALE character. The hint of drag really tops it off.

9. Easy A (2010)

Easy A tells the classic tale of how one moment of dishonesty can spread into a huge web of lies. Although this tale is told all the time, Easy A makes it a lot more tolerable to learn from and is also hilarious at the same time. It may seem ridiculous at times but brings the topic of self-respect as well which we all need from time to time.

10. The Breakfast Club (1985)

Did you really think I was going forget about The Breakfast Club? It’s just a great feel-good movie that takes a look at the inner lives of 5 completely different teenagers. Despite their differences, they each tell their own story and come to the conclusion they aren’t so different at all, wondering how the rest of their school year will turn out after their encounter in detention. This movie will never get old, and I and many others will continue to watch it over and over again.

Although this is only ten of the hundreds of movies I can think of for this back-to-school season, I would say it is definitely a good start to this school year. Kick back, and let’s start off this back-to-school season right.

Hi everyone! My name is Gracie-May Saint. I’m an 18 year old student at UOttawa obsessed with pop culture, fashion and living life to the fullest! I’m a daredevil at heart and enjoy things like bungee jumping and sky diving, some people say it’s flirting with death but hey, yolo right? I love sharing my thoughts on all my interests and experiences i’ve had! I hope you love reading my thoughts as much as i love expressing them! <33