Beauty

Give your hair the love and Attention it Deserves

If you’re anything like me, you probably have a love-hate relationship with your hair. You might love experimenting with new hairstyles…but some days, you might not even feel like brushing it! Your hair is important because it keeps your scalp warm and keeps you looking fantastic; therefore, you should give it as much care as you give your skin and your nails. Here’s how…

Wait for your hair to dry before styling or brushing.

After a shower, you might be tempted to just tie it up in a messy bun or brush it out — don’t do it! Your hair is way more fragile when it’s wet and trying to style it will lead to breakage. If you absolutely must brush it out while wet, do so extremely carefully and with a broad tooth comb. 

Limit heat styling.

Heat styling breaks down your hair’s hydrogen bonds and changes its natural shape. Over time, this will cause significant damage to your hair. The heat can also fry your hair’s outer layer, making it more prone to moisture loss and breakage. For healthier hair, cut down on heat styling, and when you do use heat, make sure to apply a heat protectant to minimize damage! 

[bf_image id="qf0syq-67fdq8-7q3xrq"]

Trim your hair often.

This tip isn’t the easiest to follow during the pandemic, but trimming your hair reduces split ends. If you find a split end in your hair and want to remove it yourself, it’s best to use professional scissors made specifically for hair cutting — don’t just rip it off! 

Don’t wash your hair every day.

Frequent washing will make it get really dry. This is because shampoos (especially ones with sulphates) strip oil from your hair… and then in order to compensate, your scalp will produce more oil to make up for it! For healthier hair, studies generally recommend shampooing your hair every 2-3 days (or even less if you have dry hair). If you can’t bear to wait that long, invest in a high-quality shampoo and conditioner to help your hair retain moisture. 

[bf_image id="q5ekwv-98iz8w-7uzd7g"] Use haircare products.

To keep your hair silky, leave-in conditioner is an amazing product. It’ll hydrate and soften your hair while making it easier to detangle! My personal favourite is Aveda's cherry almond leave-in conditioner. If you have a specific hair concern (like dry hair), there are many different hair masks and hair serum options that you can try! 

[bf_image id="kkqxf6n8mg536b8pjnbnfrmt"] Be extra careful with bleached or coloured hair.

This also applies to balayage and highlights. No matter how your hair is coloured, it’s super important to take care of the colour to keep your hair looking amazing. Both shampoos with sulphates and clarifying shampoos will make your hair get brassy faster because they’re so harsh. Bleached hair also tends to be dryer and more prone to split ends, so be sure to use conditioner!

[bf_image id="q5mv3e-23j2ko-e0nuxs"] Ultimately, your hair is part of you, and it deserves the same love you give to the rest of your body. So, the next time you find yourself starting to hate your hair, follow these simple haircare tips to keep your locks shiny, healthy, and happy!

[bf_image id="8m7gkg3jp6h67hmnn59x"]

Gwen is a fourth-year health science student at uOttawa. Her interests include yoga, zero-waste living, and latte art photography.