Style > Beauty

The 10 Best DIY Face Masks To Try In 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

With the new year come inevitable new years resolutions that we all end up breaking. But for the sake of the first two weeks, I have put together some of my favorite homemade face masks that really and truly work! More cost-effective than expensive Lush or drugstore products, these natural masks will perk up your skin and make you feel brand new! Love your skin and treat it well this year.

For each mask, make sure your skin is clean before applying. Use organic honey.

1.  Honey-Cinnamon

Honey is naturally antibacterial and moisturizing, and cinnamon contains anti-inflammatory properties and is a natural exfoliator. Use 2 or 3 tablespoons of honey as well as ½ or one tablespoon of cinnamon powder, microwave for 10 seconds, and keep on your face for 10 minutes. Sometimes, I like to put a few drops of lemon juice into the mixture (which helps to reduce the appearance of dark spots). This is my favorite mask ever and I use it 1-2 times a week!

2.  Oatmeal-Yogurt-Honey

Oatmeal is a great cleanser and exfoliator, and yogurt gets rid of dead skin and tightens your pores. Mix ½ a cup of water and 1/3 cup of cooked oats, and then 2 tablespoons yogurt and 1-2 tablespoons honey. Let this mask sit for 15 minutes before washing off.

3.  Banana-Honey-Lemon

This mask is great to brighten dull skin and remove dark spots. Bananas are packed with vitamins that tone and moisturize skin. Mash a ripe banana and add 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Leave on for 10-15 minutes before washing off.

4.  Cucumber-Yogurt

Cucumber reduces inflammation and offers a ton of hydration, and yogurt tightens pores and smoothens skin. This relaxing mask is great if you’re stressed, breaking out, or just in need of a pick-me-up! Make a puree using a peeled cucumber and add 1 tablespoon of yogurt. Leave on face for 15 minutes before washing off.

5.  Matcha-Coconut Oil-Water

This one calms and reduces redness – matcha powder is an anti-oxidant and helps reduce redness and inflammation, and coconut oil is a great moisturizer. Mix 1 tablespoon of matcha powder, ½ a tablespoon of coconut oil, and ½ a tablespoon of water. Apply to face and leave for 15 minutes.

6.  Avocado-Yogurt-Olive Oil-Honey

This one hydrates and calms skin. Avocado and olive oil are both moisturizing. Mix 1 avocado, 2 tablespoons yogurt, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1 tablespoon honey. Leave on for 10-15 minutes before washing.

7.  Egg Whites-Lemon

This one is great for oily skin or if you’re suffering a breakout. Egg whites reduce acne and maintain the elasticity of skin. Beat 1 egg white until it is frothy and squeeze the juice from ½ a lemon onto it. Leave mask on for 20-30 minutes before washing off.

8.  Avocado-Honey Mask

This one works great for dry skin. Mash ½ a ripe avocado, and mix in 2 tablespoons honey and ½ a tablespoon coconut oil. Leave on for 10-15 minutes before washing.

9.  Strawberry-Yogurt-Honey

This one is great for oily or acne-prone skin. Strawberries are acidic and therefore remove excess oil to prevent breakouts. Mix ¼ cup of mashed strawberries, 1 tablespoon honey, and 1 tablespoon yogurt together. Leave on your face for 15 minutes before washing.

10.  Baking Soda – Honey

Baking soda is a skin exfoliator and removes blackheads. Honey moisturizes during the process. This one works better for combination skin – but all skin types can try it. This is also a more aggressive mask. Mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda and 1 tablespoon honey together. Leave on face for 10-15 minutes before washing.

Images Courtesy of Healthline, soapjam.wordpress.com, readanddigest.com, theglobalbeauty.com, nyssaskitchen.com, wholefully.com, beautymunsta.com, brit.co, livesimply.me, theorganicbook.com, and health.com