Netflix Binging: 10 TV Series to Get You Through Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Hello Collegiettes!

With another round of exams here and the thought of finals hanging over our heads, some personal time is imperative to get you through! When the times get tough, my own way to de-stress is turning to Netflix. There is nothing like becoming engulfed in a TV series that pulls you into its own world, and temporarily out of yours. 

So, to my fellow Netflix bingers, whether you are stress-watching or simply doing it for enjoyment, here are some of the best series to satisfy almost any kind of TV craving over the next few weeks!

Teen Drama:

Gossip Girl

The series takes place in upper Manhattan, New York, and surrounds the lives of best friends Serena van der Woodsen and Blair Waldorf as they survive high school and the lives that come with having money.

One Tree Hill

OTH takes place in North Carolina and follows Luke Scott, a very talented basketball player who keeps to himself. His talents are discovered by his high school basketball team and he is quickly called upon to join his half-brother and enemy Nathan. The new spotlight opens Luke up to a life in high school he never thought he would have. 

90210

This series follows siblings Annie and Dixon Wilson as they are immersed into Beverly Hills High School and adjusting to the very different life style than that of their original home in Kansas. They struggle with fitting into the new culture, while still trying trying to please their parents.

Friday Night Lights

Coach Eric Taylor relocates his family to the town of Dillon, Texas for a high school football coaching position. As he works to try to balance his work and family life, he soon finds himself completely wrapped up in a narrow-minded small town that worships football. 

Greek

When freshman Rusty Cartwright joins his distant big sis Casey at Cyprus-Rhodes University, he decides to go out of his comfort zone and join a fraternity. The series follows the siblings, their growing relationship, and the life of being a Greek member.

Crime TV Drama:

Breaking Bad

In the series, Walter White, a very over-qualified chemistry teacher, finds out he has terminal cancer and teams up with a former student to begin producing meth in the hopes of paying for his surgeries and providing financial security for his family. As time goes on he becomes more entangled in his criminal acts

Medical TV Drama:

Grey’s Anatomy

Grey’s Anatomy takes place in Seattle, Washington at Seattle Grace Hospital. When Meredith Grey, daughter of the famous surgeon Ellis Grey and first year intern, begins her job, she discovers that her recent one night stand is now her boss. The show goes on to follow the lives of Meredith and her fellow interns as they work to become doctors while trying to maintain lives outside of the job.

Action/Adventure:

Lost

When a plane leaving from Australia crashes a thousand miles off course on an island, its survivors are left to take on circumstances that seem beyond this world. The show mixes action with science fiction and mystery. As my current obsession, I can tell you that the show will have you scared and wanting more.

Comedy:

The Office

The Office takes place in Scranton, Connecticut and follows the everyday lives of employees of a branch of Dunder Mifflin Paper company lead by their manager Michael Scott. The witty and dry humor will have you glued to the TV.

30 Rock

This series follows the outlandish life of Liz Lemon, head-writer for a fictional comedy TV show being filmed in Rockefeller Plaza. Things are shaken up when a new boss is asked to come in and revamp her show.

Happy Viewing!

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst