This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Eating healthy in college isn’t hard, it just takes a little creativity! These 6 tricks will help you make the most of your dining hall. 

1. Strawberries ‘N Cream

Satisfy your sweet tooth while keeping it light! Dip fresh berries in a cloud of whipped cream for a healthier option than the chocolate cake – you’ll be glad you did! 

2. Grilled Chicken Salad

Add a little punch to your favorite salad by grabbing some chicken breast from the grill and cutting it up over a bed of veggies! Protein and greens are a power-packed combo that fuels your busy day.

3. Fresh Bruscetta

Create this Italian classic whenever you want! Toast up your favorite bread, add a drizzle of olive oil, and a few cut up tomatoes. Shake a little salt and pepper on top, and enjoy your healthy appetizer. 

4. Pizza Bagel

Craving pizza but want to keep calories in check? Toast a bagel and top with tomato sauce from the pasta station and cheese from the salad bar for a healthy fix! Try adding your favorite veggies too.

5. Walnut Salad

Work walnuts into your everyday salad for a pop of healthy fats! Walnuts are filled with Omega-3 and spice up a boring salad. Add craisins for even more flavor.

6. Apple Pie 

When you want a slice of apple pie but don’t want to derail your diet, try this trick! Cut up apples in a bowl and add honey, brown sugar, and granola for all the crunch and flavors of your favorite desert with fewer calories.

Happy snacking, Collegiettes!

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst