The 5 Best Places to Add to Your Travel Bucket List ASAP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Sometimes in the midst of all the craziness going on in your life, it’s easy to forget that there’s a whole world of adventure to experience. Traveling around the globe to different locations is a life-changing opportunity and one that can rarely be relived twice. That’s why when it comes to choosing what destinations the plane wheels touch down on, your options should be weighed carefully. Here are some of the best places to add to your travel bucket list:

1. Machu Picchu, Peru  

This beautiful destination has a special place in my heart, for I have actually had the privilege of visiting one of the seven wonders of the world. Besides the most breathtaking views of the Andes Mountains covered in lush green, and the ancient ruins dotting the landscape in crumbling stone, the best thing about Machu Picchu is the culture richly ingrained in the surrounding area. This place, being the popular site that it is, would make one think a touristy feel would suffocate the area. However, it’s just the opposite; the people work hard to ensure that their customs and important traditions shine through, which makes it an extra special experience.

2. Santorini, Greece

Colored with crisp whites and blues, the bunch of islands that compose Santorini, Greece is abundant with activities and destinations to visit. It’s known for its amazing traditional foods, such as cherry tomatoes, white eggplants and fava. The amazing crystalline waters and beaches with white or black sands will draw anyone in.

3. Venice, Italy

A city where the travel-ways are smooth rivers that are ridden on by intricately designed gondolas is sure to catch the eye of many people. Venice, however, is much more than meets the eye. The city contains gorgeous architecture and museums filled with Italian history and art such as Saint Mark’s Basilica. On the waters, you could travel underneath the Bridge of Sighs, which will lead you straight into the rest of the beautiful city.

4. Paris, France

Paris exudes a vibe of romance and love; the city lights glowing at night against the water of the Seine will make you fall head over heels for the city. Cafes filled with exquisite food line the streets, and there are countless destinations that will attract the eye. Everyone knows the Eiffel Tower glistens elegantly in the sky and the Arc de Triomphe stands strong as a symbol of Paris’s history, but those aren’t the only places to visit. The Luxembourg Gardens captivate one’s attention with its lush green beauty, and the Palace of Versailles is breathtaking with its crystal chandeliers and golden walls.

5. Cork, Ireland

Ireland is known for its green landscapes that roll on for miles, tumbling into cliff mountainsides and quaint farmlands. Cork’s streets contain houses colored in all different shades of pastel, and it’s only a day’s journey to and from the Cliffs of Moher. Ireland is also home to many different stone castles that are reminiscent of storybook fairytales. Blarney Castle is located just outside of Cork, and is a beautiful piece of architecture with a famous stone that everyone stops to kiss before they leave.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Halee Murphy

U Mass Amherst

University of Massachusetts '20 | Psychology and English double major, love to run, drink coffee and go to the beach with friends
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst