15 Songs That I Listened To Nonstop While Celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The beautiful thing about music is its universal ability to create a mood and express human emotion or feeling. Music allows us to be exposed to a multitude of cultures through language, sparking love, interest, and appreciation for countries and cultures that aren’t our own. Despite being from a country that has more Spanish speakers than Spain, Hispanic music was not a genre that I listened to often if the track was not a popular song on the radio. Entering college for me meant that I wanted to be exposed to the cultures that did not exist in my high school. That meant that for the first time, I celebrated National Hispanic Heritage month alongside my new Latina and Hispanic friends, joining our school’s Latin American club, and exposing myself to works by Hispanic artists. While celebrating this important time and growing as a supporter of the Hispanic community, I have been exposed to such wonderful music by the Hispanic community. Here are fifteen songs that were on repeat during National Hispanic Heritage Month.

1. “MALAMENTE (Cap. 1: Augurio)”- Rosalía

Rosalía’s “Malamente” was released on May 30, 2018 off of her album El Mal Querer, and was an instant hit because of its unique sound. This song was introduced to a large international audience when the song was played during Netflix’s hit Spanish teen drama Elite and when Dua Lipa and Kourtney Kardashian praised the song. Since its release, the song was nominated in five categories at the 2018 Latin Grammys and won “Best Alternative Song” and “Best Urban Fusion/Performance”.

Pitchfork describes Rosalía’s voice as “liquid velvet, unfurling a story in every sigh.” In the Spanish song, she uses metaphors to describe a love that she has been warned against, and yet, she still chases after it. 

2. “Coqueta”- Katzù Oso

Paul Hernandez, best known as Katzù Oso, is a Latino solo artist based in LA. His song “Coqueta” off of his debut EP, Pastel, uses Spanish and English to describe a person being so in love with a girl that they only want to be around her.

3. “Tù”- Maye

Maye a “billingual singer-songwriter born in Caracas, Venezuela”, released “Tú” on September 6, 2019 as a single. Maye sings in Spanish about time stopping when she is with the one she loves, time stops. Using her soft vocals to carry you through, it’s almost as if the listener is following a gentle wave as the song progresses. In the song she describes her partner as being the embodiment of love itself, needing nothing else but to be with that person.

4. “Fix Me”- Cuco and Dillon Francis

Cuco, a Mexican American indie, bedroom, and synth-pop artist teamed up with the electronic producer Dillon Francis to create the wonderful track “Fix Me”. In the song, Cuco sings in English and a little bit of Spanish to beg his crush to fix his broken heart and protect it. He sings about his desire to feel wanted by this crush, letting that crush know that his heart has been played with too much.

5. “Internet Blues”- Brika

Briana Martinez, or Brika, is a Cuban “alt-soul” artist who released the English song “Internet Blues” as a part of her album Every Third Thought. Brika uses her moody voice to sing about an online relationship which she feels is one-sided. She feels the person does not understand her well, constantly thinking about the conversations she will never have with that person.

6. “Calma”- Los Wálters

Los Wálters, a Puerto Rican Indie Pop band, released the song “Calma” on May 31, 2018, with the lyrics completely being in Spanish. The lyrics work together with the vocals to produce an urgency for the listener to calm down, pause for a moment, and enjoy the moment.

7. “Cariño”- The Marías

The Marías are “a smooth rendezvous of jazz percussion, hypnotic guitar riffs, smoke-velvet vocals” that work together to produce the alternative/indie sound they are known for. The Puerto-Rican band released “Cariño” as a part of the Superclean Vol. II album, which was released by September 28, 2018. “A term of endearment, loosely translating to affection or sweetie”, “Cariño” tells their lover that there truly is something special about them, reminding them that they truly are lovely.  

8. “Sí o No”- Tatiana Hazel

Latina pop singer Tatiana Hazel released “Sí o No” on September 28, 2018 as a single. Upon first listen Tatiana can be compared to Shakira in the way she sings the pop track.

9. “Tus ojos”- Salt Cathedral

According to Salt Cathedral’s website, the band duo is “comprised of Columbian musicians Juliana Ronderos and Nicolas Losada.” “Tus ojos” is a tropical sounding song about being lost in the eyes of your lover. The person can’t help but be lost in the eyes of the person they love, only wanting to stay with their lover, rather than being alone.

10. “Yo Quisiera”- Reik

Reik, a Mexican band, released “Yo Quisiera” as a part of their platinum album Reik on May 24, 2005. The lyrics are incredibly healing and heartfelt, expressing the need to always be there for the person they love. This person knows that their lover is suffering, and wants them to know that they would offer their shoulder for the, to lean on, and offer their time whenever their lover needs to pour out their feelings. The song gives off such a nostalgic sound, making any listener’s heart feel uplifted.

11. “Mientes”- Camila

Mexican pop group Camila released the song “Mientes” which translates to “you lie” on November 16, 2009 and was the leading single of their 2010 album, Dejarte de Amar. The song received two Latin Grammy awards for “Song of the Year” and “Record of the Year”. The song talks about distrust in a relationship, and how whenever one tries to move on, they always come back. When listening to the song for the first time, it really does remind you of early Alternative music.

12. “Agua”- KORDELYA

According to their site, KORDELYA, formally known as Cordella and The Buffalo, is a Mexican American songwriter and producer. Her song “Agua” is about a person being so in love with another person that they are always desperate to see them. They need that person like they need water.

13. “Dance, Baby!”- Boy Pablo

Boy Pablo, an indie pop-rock Chilean Norwegian singer/songwriter released “Dance, Baby!” on May 19, 2017 as apart of the album Roy Pablo. The English song is set at a dance where the main character just wants to dance with the girl of their dreams, but has to compete with a guy that is clearly not good enough for this girl. The song can remind listeners of a beach, having a sound that sounds like summer. 

14. “Wrong”- Loyal Lobos

Andrea Silva, or better known as Loyal Lobos, is a Columbian singer and songwriter. In her English song “Wrong” released on October 24, 2018, her dreamy vocals echo in your ears, telling a story of a long journey made for the person she loves, only to question if the sacrifice she has made was worth it. This song stands out from the other tracks as a country themed, acoustic heavy song.

15. “Nuestro Planeta”- Kali Uchis

Karly-Marina Loaiza, or better known as Kali Uchis is a Columbian-American singer and songwriter. In her Spanish song “Nuestro Planeta” released as a part of her album Isolation on April 6, 2018, Kali sings about wanting to be on a planet with just her and her lover. She feels like her lover has been acting differently, pretending they don’t know her, but with confidence, Kali reminds them that she knows they can never stop wanting her.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Shermarie Hyppolite

U Mass Amherst '23

Shermarie is currently a senior at UMASS Amherst double majoring in Communication and Journalism with a concentration in PR and is a part of the Commonwealth Honors College. When she is not writing pieces or doing homework, she is listening to k-pop music, reading, ranting about Beyoncé, and scrolling through Tumblr and Twitter.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst