Meet Ranan Fattal, A Pre-Med Student 6,000 Miles From Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Ranan Fattal is an incredibly hardworking, driven and involved junior at the University of Iowa with an interesting story to tell. Ranan was born in the United States but grew up in Lebanon. After studying biology at the American University of Beruit, Ranan transferred to the University of Iowa and is already making a difference on campus. We interviewed Ranan for a little more insight into her life.

Her Campus: What is your major and what do you plan to do after school?

Ranan Fattal: I’m a Health and Human Physiology Major on the Pre-Medical track. After undergrad, I plan on going into medical school.

HC: What are your involvements on campus?

RF: My campus involvements include the University of Iowa Student Government and the University of Iowa Environmental Coalition. I also work at a research lab and volunteer at an international organization.

HC: What do you do in Student Government?

RF: I’m part of the Student Life Committee, which coordinates student affairs to help foster a more enriching campus, as well as the Sustainability Committee that aims to make the University of Iowa and the community as green as possible.

HC: What is it like being so far from home?

RF: During my first semester, I didn’t find myself feeling homesick at all. But now it’s become a constant state that I’m just going to have to get used to! Yet I do find the distance somehow liberating in the sense that it allows me to gain perspective and grow as an individual.

HC: What would you say is the most striking difference between the US and Lebanon?

RF: I find that the most striking difference between the US and Lebanon is the nature of relationships since I’m used to having a community feel where everyone seems to be interconnected. There is also a huge gap in the immense amount of order and organization found here as compared to Lebanon.

HC: What made you choose to leave home and come to the University of Iowa?

RF: Coming to the University of Iowa was actually never a conscious decision. I was here over the summer visiting my aunt and  completing a medical internship when I decided to apply here and ended up transferring!

Maya Mahajan is a freshman studying philosophy at the University of Iowa. She is a senator in the University of Iowa Student Government, a member of Kappa Alpha Theta, a member of the Editorial Team for HerCampus at Iowa, and author of a blog, maya-ashley.com.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.