UD Alumni and Professor Meredith Chapman Runs for State Senate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

For most university students, this election season is the first where you are eligible to vote and have your voices heard. Whether you were born and raised in Newark or call campus your home away from home for four years, it is important to cast your ballot for the local elections, which could greatly impact your time at the university. In order to help you make an informed choice, Her Campus sat down with Meredith Chapman, a University of Delaware alumni and professor who is running for District 8 Delaware State Senate. This district represents the entire university campus as well as the surrounding neighborhoods.

Her Campus: What made you decide to run for state senate?

Meredith Chapman: So for the last ten years I’ve been involved with the political scene in Delaware. More importantly, I’ve been listening to my neighbors, family and friends and I hear the same narrative over and over again that we need to do better as a state. We need change and a fresh perspective. I’m the type of person who believes in not just talking the talk but walking the walk as well.

I have spent time trying to find someone to run for office and after talking to a number of people I realized that I had the ideas to improve education and provide better economic opportunities for us as a state. I then realized I needed to transition from being the behind the scenes political strategist to the candidate and being the voice of those that I care about and those that I’ve met in the community so we can improve Delaware for future generations.

HC: What makes you the most qualified candidate for this position?

MC: My team has been doing surveys and about nine out of ten residents are saying that education is one of their top concerns. Being an educator myself, I understand that a teacher needs to have flexibility in the classroom. I understand that it’s not just about outcomes but about student growth as well. Coupling my experience with the realities I see of students leaving the University of Delaware and the state because they can’t find jobs gives me the unique qualification to understand the importance of the full lifecycle from student to professional. I understand that education, economic development and our fiscal health are all tied together, but it really starts with education. It’s time we had an educator for education in Dover.

HC: How will having you in office affect the University of Delaware community?

MC: Being that this would be the district that I would represent, I would be a voice not just for the tens of thousands of residents, but a voice for the university community, which includes the students as well. One of the things I would do is have semesterly coffee meetings to bring students together to talk about their experiences. There might even be an opportunity to introduce legislation to meet the needs of students on campus. Of course it has to be considered in the context of the whole state, but I think that it’s incredible not only to be an educator at the university but be able to represent it as well and to pull the students into the equation not only to understand how our government works but possibly taking on a role of shaping policies that would impact them and future students.

HC: Do you have a final message for the voters out there?

MC: Make your voice heard. From talking to thousands of people, one of the biggest lessons we can learn is to take a stake in your future. I know there is a lot going on nationally with politics that has left a sour taste in people’s mouths. But locally, you can really affect positive change. So never discredit yourself and say that you’re just a student at the university and you’re only here four years. This state senate term is for four years so think about what we can do if we bring together the power of the student voice with the voices of the residents here and we have a representative embedded in the community and in the campus as well. So get out and vote, make your voice heard. As I say vote change, vote Chapman.

If you want more information on Meredith Chapman’s campaign you can visit her website. For a list of local polls in the district for this coming election day, you can click here. Happy voting, Delaware!

Amanda Schuman is a junior at the University of Delaware. She is currently majoring in communications with a concentration in mass media and double minoring in journalism and interactive media. Amanda is passionate about all things communications whether it's social media, public relations, writing or just networking. In her free time she can be found watching sit-coms on Netflix, with a book in hand or eating anything sweet. You can follow her @bluehen_amanda