nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Trying to Figure Out Housing Options for College? Look No Further!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

Should you live ON or OFF Campus?

You’ve done it, you’ve finally decided on a college to attend. The application process is done and over with, all you need to do now is prepare for dorm life…or maybe apartment life…or even commuting life. Deciding living arrangements for your college career is difficult, and there are a lot of factors that go into answering the big question- Where should I live?

Dorms

In real world terms, freshman dorms are like training wheels. They are great for a fresh-outta-high school first year student who still needs the time to adjust to college life. Dorms ease you into living independently. You have your own space, but you’re surrounded by people who are in your very same situation. When I lived in a dorm, I was excited to be away from home for the first time, but I was relieved to know that, yes, the laundry machines have instructions on them, and yes, the dining hall has food prepared.

Apartments

Apartments, whether on or off campus, are the next level of independence after dorms in terms of college living arrangements. You’ve had a year or two to adjust to college life and make some friends, so maybe you’re ready to ditch the dorm life and shell out money to find an apartment. How many people should I live with? What if we can’t find someone to fill up the last spot and end up having to pay more? Am I paying too much for too little? Finding an apartment is risky. There are a lot of questions you need to answer before deciding if apartment life is right for you, but the payoff is great! You are now more free to live how you want to and have more space for yourself.

Commuting

What if a dorm or apartment isn’t for you? Sometimes commuting to class is the best option! Why pay for on-campus housing if it’s not necessary? Whether you commute on the first day, or years later into your college journey, there are a lot of benefits to commuting. You don’t have to worry about forgetting your favorite shirt or laundry hamper in your dorm/apartment, nor do you have to worry about living by the University’s rules. Plus, you save a lot of money when you don’t have to pay for on-campus room and board. Even though it may feel isolating to live at home, (and finding parking may be a nightmare), commuting could be a great option for you if dorms or apartments aren’t your thing!

Conclusion

Deciding what housing option is right for you can be difficult, but remember that whatever you pick, or get stuck with, won’t be the “be-all-and-end-all” of your college career. You’re here for multiple years, so it may take you some time to find out what really suits your needs. There’s no shame in whatever option you decide, as long as you’re safe and happy!

Art Major at UD
Kaylee is the former President and Editor in Chief for Her Campus at the University of Delaware. She held this title from 2017-2020 and wrote for Penn State's chapter as a contributor prior to this. Now a proud UD class of 2020 alum (B.A. in Public Policy and Writing), Kaylee is completing her Masters in Public Health. Aside from writing, Kaylee was involved in many activities as an undergrad. She wrote for three college publications, was a Blue Hen Ambassador tour guide, worked as a Starbucks barista, and was the Director of Operations for the Model United Nations at UD.