This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

Fleabag, an endearing dark-comedy about a woman getting through life while grieving the loss of a friend, and it is quickly became one of my favorite shows. I started watching it the day after the 2019 Emmy Awards, mostly because Phoebe Waller-Bridge came across very funny, but also because season two won three Emmy Awards and the show seemed promising. 

My first selling point on Fleabag is the short length of the show. There are only two seasons: six episodes each and only 30 minute episodes. It was very fast to get through which is good if you have a short attention span or no time to watch television. 

The comedic timing is probably one of my favorite things about the show. This is a dark comedy by nature addressing the topic of grief, and it does contain British humor, but Phoebe Waller-Bridge delivers the lines so eloquently; it is like poetry, but raunchy. 

Perhaps the life of Fleabag is not exactly enviable, but the relationships are addicting. Fleabag with her hot priest is alluring and tragic. He truly seems to understand Fleabag in a way which everyone wants to be understood, but the truth of his profession invokes great difficulties in achieving mutual happiness. 

Fleabag’s relationship with her sister is one that I find the most intriguing. They so accurately portray a sibling relationship where hatred coexists with love. They see each other as who they are, and they use that to the advantage and disadvantage of the other. 

In celebration of its 3 Emmy Awards, and my love for the show, here are 3 quotes that embody the lovely craft of “Fleabag”:

1. “I don’t know what to do with it….With all the love I have for her. I don’t know where to put it now.” -Fleabag (Season 1 Episode 4)

2. “I love you.” “It’ll pass.” -Fleabag, then hot priest (Season 2 episode 6)

3. “The only person I’d run through an airport for is you” -Claire (season 2 episode 6)    

And now 3 of my favorite scenes: 

1. Fleabag promises her boyfriend Harry they will surprise each other every day so Fleabag wears a mask and carries a knife to  surprise Harry in the shower (Season 1 episode 2)

2. The entire family dinner scene in the first episode of season 2, and basically every moment in this episode (it is my favorite episode). (Season 2 episode 1)

3. When Fleabag and Claire demonstrate the ways siblings can get on each other’s nerves like no one else on a road-trip. (Season1 Episode 4)

Of course, there are many more quotes and scenes from the show which I absolutely adore, and I highly recommend watching “Fleabag” (at least once) to understand why I love it so much. 

Autumn Kent

Delaware '23

Autumn is a freshman at the University of Delaware where she is majoring in English.
Contributor account