Questions That Your Family Probably Asked You Over Fall Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

As a college freshman, going home for Thanksgiving break was something I looked forward to from the day my parents dropped me off at school. After three months of working hard, Thanksgiving was the light at the end of the tunnel. Nine glorious days with no papers, exams or work to worry about. With the break came the excitement of seeing friends and family, and, while I knew people were going to ask about my life, I did not realize just how many questions people would have! After talking to my friends from school, I was relieved to find out all of us were going through a similar interrogation. Here are some of the most common questions we were all probably asked this year.

How’s school going?

Have you gained weight yet?

What’s your major again?

Do you think you’ll get a job with that?

Don’t you think a business major would provide a more stable job market?

Are you dating anyone?

My friend has a *insert name of son/nephew/grandchild* who would be perfect for you, do you want me to set you two up?

Do you go out a lot? *winks*

Oh, UD? Do you know ____ who goes there?

Have you heard of the  *insert name of incredible humanitarian work* your friend *insert name* from high school has done?

Even if the questions made you do an internal eye-roll, your friends and family just want to make sure you’re doing well at school. So remember, winter break is eight weeks long, so get ready for more questions!

Emily is a freshman University Studies student who has no idea what she wants to do with her life.  Her favorite things include coffee, jumping in puddles, and traveling. When she's not studying, Emily loves bingewatching Stranger Things, Riverdale, and Hallmark movies. 
Kaylee is the former President and Editor in Chief for Her Campus at the University of Delaware. She held this title from 2017-2020 and wrote for Penn State's chapter as a contributor prior to this. Now a proud UD class of 2020 alum (B.A. in Public Policy and Writing), Kaylee is completing her Masters in Public Health. Aside from writing, Kaylee was involved in many activities as an undergrad. She wrote for three college publications, was a Blue Hen Ambassador tour guide, worked as a Starbucks barista, and was the Director of Operations for the Model United Nations at UD.