This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

The world isn’t what it used to be, especially with the healthcare system. People are now bathing in hand sanitizer and breathing like Darth Vader in masks. The healthcare system has probably been hit the hardest. No one wants to go into hospitals with the chance of getting COVID. I was lucky enough to need to go to the hospital and doctors offices multiple times during the pandemic and here’s my experience.

Let me start with some context. It all started when I was in 8th grade and on my middle school basketball team. At this point I had been playing basketball for nine years, so it was my life. I had been playing with the same group of girls since the beginning, from the YMCA to travel teams. When we got to middle school, 4 of us were on the same team so we were a well-oiled machine. We were the ones to beat. On the night of our big game, I faced my rival who I was always compared to. Whether her and I were on the same team or going against each other, we were competing. I was better than her and she couldn’t take it so that led her to play dirty. As I was going for a break away lay-up, instead of blocking my shot, she decided to push me down. That’s when I tore my ACL, MCL and Meniscus in my knee and started the lifelong journey of knee troubles. I got my first surgery one month later. I ended up playing the rest of my season and beating that girl who pushed me down in the championship with a torn knee. 

The next incident happened in 11th grade. My life was on a completely different path. I was a shot put and discus thrower and one of the best in the state. The day before the first meet of the season I was doing a spin throw that caused me to retear my Meniscus. This led to doctor’s offices and MRIs after practice and keeping it a secret from my coaches so I could throw. After competing at states, I could finally get my surgery. However, this surgery didn’t take. I guess throwing with a bad knee right away wasn’t the best idea.

Fast forward to two years later and I could barely walk without experiencing some type of pain in my knee. Every few steps I would hear a loud crack in my knee that sent me into excruciating pain. I couldn’t take it anymore and begged my mother to send me to my doctor. I discovered my previous surgery never healed and my Meniscus was still torn. This was a week before COVID sent most college students home. The next step was getting an MRI. The hospitals were still normal and didn’t have the craziness set in yet. Sadly, not even a week later, craziness hit. Quarantine and masks were in effect. Only essential patients were allowed in the doctor’s office. I had to have a phone call appointment with my doctor. It is very awkward to describe your knee over the phone. I had to wait 5 months before I could get my surgery. 

We were in the midst of COVID and hospitals were hotspots. My first experience was needing to get tested for COVID. I entered the hospital praying I didn’t test positive so I wouldn’t need to wait even longer for my surgery. I got the nose swab and a negative test. I was on track for my surgery. This surgery was different from any other one. We were greeted with a thermometer to the forehead. Only one of my parents was allowed in the hospital with me. I had to be given a new mask. Then it became all too similar. I got the usual IV trouble and the pre-surgery meds. I was wheeled away from my mom and moments later I was knocked out from anesthesia. I woke up to the usual bad taste in my mouth and got some apple juice. As soon as the anesthesia wore off, I was wheeled off to my car. They didn’t keep me in the hospital longer than necessary. 

I’m still in recovery. I am walking much better without pain. It was the simplest surgery and so far the best recovery. The worst part was dealing with the virus. At the time, it seemed to be such a hassle to be safe. Looking back, I think the healthcare system is benefitting from these new procedures and they should still be implemented after the virus dies down. Mask should be the new normal. Healthcare workers are heroes. Thank you to all the essential workers and those who helped me get back on my feet….literally. 

Darby Morgan

Delaware '23

My name is Darby Morgan. I am from Coatesville, Pennsylvania, where I attended Coatesville Area Senior High. I was the school's talaria editor, captain of the track and field team and part of the ping pong club. I love photography, reading and watching Netflix. I am a mathematics major and psychology minor at the University of Delaware.
Contributor account