Kristen Bryant-Thinking In A Lala College Sweatshirt
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Wellness

Interviewing a Sophomore UD Student About Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

I wanted to do a profile that would focus on what it’s like navigating college life while also dealing with mental health problems. Many colleges lack the resources needed to deal with the large number of students who seek counseling on campus. This issue is not often made a priority, but is one that’s crucial to the success of students, both academically and in their personal lives. 

Her Campus: What was it like coming into college with mental health problems?

Anonymous: I was already nervous coming into college as an out-of-state student who didn’t know many people. Knowing my anxiety would be an extra barrier made it even more scary.

HC: When did you first seek on-campus help and how was your experience with it?

A: I started looking into on-campus counseling around October of my freshman year because my mental health started hurting my grades, and I felt like I had to do something to deal with it. I made an appointment and went to the counseling center. I met with someone who recommended infrequent group sessions for me, but they couldn’t offer one-on-one sessions, which is what I really needed. They referred me to off-campus therapy, which I decided to try.

HC: How did that go?

A: Off-campus therapy was worth trying, but didn’t work out well for me. It felt like a waste of money because I didn’t feel like the therapist really understood what I needed at the time. It got frustrating and expensive, so I stopped going a few months in.

HC: What are some things you have done while being in college to help with your anxiety?

A: Some of the most helpful things I have done are getting exercise or even just going on long walks every day. For me personally, sitting inside all day is one of the worst things I can do for my mental health. I also try my best to create a routine with things that I know will relax me, like getting dinner with friends and watching my favorite TV show. 

After speaking with my friend about her experience, it was evident that the on-campus counseling center could not offer her what she needed. The only alternative was expensive, off-campus therapy, which was unsuccessful in its efforts and seemed to push her back even more. I can’t even imagine how many college students have suffered through failed attempts to find relief through counseling at the schools where they pay tens of thousands of dollars to attend.

Hally La Fronz

Delaware '23

Hally La Fronz is a sophomore from NYC with a COMI major and a minor in journalism. Some of her favorite things to do are writing, going on adventures, and hanging out with friends.
Contributor account