Wellness

The Importance of Wellness and Exercise, Even During a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

We’ve all heard the same phrases growing up, like: “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” or “an apple a day keeps the doctors away” or “take the stairs instead of the elevator.” Yes, an apple a day does not literally keep the doctors away, but consistent healthy eating will lower the chances of risky health diseases that would potentially need a doctor’s visit. There are truths behind the cheesy quotes we’ve heard all our lives, and as we grow up, it is super important to listen closely to your body’s needs.

In light of this current pandemic, there was a splurge in at-home workout videos and content being released since gyms and other recreational activities were being closed. I remember taking more family walks than I ever had in my life. This was great and workout challenges even became trendy, but this was definitely bigger at the beginning months of the pandemic (April-May) than it is now (November.) However, it is still very important to be active and take initiative to be healthy as it is directly related to your mental health. 

As more schools had announced their semesters being remote, this had definitely taken a toll on the studying habits and student’s overall mental health. College is already hard as it is, and now it is made even more difficult by being online. This is obviously not anyone’s first choice, but it is imperative to the country that we big institutions take certain precautions where they can to minimize as much spread as possible. It just makes it that much easier to get behind on things when it doesn’t feel like anyone is keeping you accountable. I will say that personally, this has been my worst semester yet just because I feel super detached with responsibility after lockdown. I’ve taken the time to talk to a lot of friends and wiser figures in my life to help sort out my feelings, and it has become super therapeutic. I’d definitely recommend this to people who feel tense and may not know why- we have cut down our human interactions way more than we’ve realized and this can greatly impact our mental health.

I know it can seem impossible to fit exercise into our crazy schedules nowadays, but there are super easy ways to plug it in that it would take mindless thinking. Some would include a 10-20 minute walk first thing in the morning, I find this much easier if you have a dog to walk, as this responsibility could motivate you out of bed and stay consistent with this activity. There are many benefits to morning walks and it can set you up for a productive, positive day later on. If walking outside first thing in the morning isn’t your forte, then trying other means of getting your body moving first thing. This could include stretching and yoga. There are countless morning salutation videos that are easy to follow on Youtube. A full yoga session isn’t necessary either, just being able to stretch your body after hours of being idle can be very beneficial to the mind-body connection. If you want to start being dedicated to a routine, there are countless Youtube influencers that have workout videos with a schedule to be followed that make it easy to stay consistent with exercise at home. Some fan favorites are Chloe Ting, Pamela Reif and Nataleebfitness!

There are countless ways to stay active even with the restraints given to us by this pandemic. The important part is to find out what works best for you and stick to it.

April Dy-Reyes

Delaware '22

April is a Management Information Systems major & Psychology minor. Currently the social media director for HerCampus UDel and for Tropical Spa-Lon.
Ashley Marino

Delaware '21

Ashley is a Senior at the University of Delaware with a major in English and a double minor in Environmental Humanities and Public Policy. She is currently the Co-CC for the Udel chapter. She was previously a writer and an editor.