Wellness

Healthy Snacks that Will Help You Stay on Track

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

Diets are hard. Even when you try your best to eat the right things and stay consistent with workout plans, it is easy to fall behind. Often, when we diet, we neglect to eat enough calories and leave no room for setbacks. Thus, when we get pushed off track by a carton of ice cream or a missed workout day, we spiral. 

As a freshman at the University of Delaware, I know this struggle all too well. The temptation to eat poorly and focus all of my mental capacity on studies is strong. Dieting, now, requires an expansive will power I can’t seem to grasp. I often find myself doing well for a mere few days before becoming hungry, stressed, or tired, and falling right back into unhealthy habits. 

Recently, however, I have discovered some healthy, yet satisfying diet foods that are helping me to stay on track. Simple to prepare, relatively easy on a college budget, and deceptively indulgent, these are some of the snacks I eat to keep myself powering through a difficult diet. 

Edamame

Deliciously salty and incredibly snackable, this protein-packed and vitamin-rich snack is a perfect substitute for that bag of potato chips you have been craving. Most edamame is sold frozen, but can be heated up with the simple click of a microwave button. Additionally, recent studies have shown that edamame may help to reduce cholesterol, manage blood sugar, and reduce the risk of cancer, among other benefits. 

Trail Mix

High in nutrients, protein, and fiber, trail mix is a tasty and filling way to curve the urge to snack. By reducing your appetite, trail mix ensures you stay on your calorie budget. Additionally, trail mix satisfies your daily dietary needs by providing you with healthy fats, proteins, and dried fruit you may not have the capacity to fit in your diet elsewhere. 

Guacamole

Rich in fiber and healthy fat, guacamole is easy to make and can brighten up your diet with vibrant, fresh flavors. When paired with vegetables – such as carrots or red bell peppers – this snack defies all others in terms of both healthiness and tastiness. Besides, who doesn’t love avocados? Seriously, I would like to know.

Apple Slices with Peanut Butter

Apple slices with peanut butter has become one of my favorite snacks throughout this past semester. Apples help to satisfy your daily dietary carbohydrate and fruit requirements, and peanut butter is an efficient source of protein. Besides, you know what they say about apples – one a day keeps the Freshman Fifteen away (it’s true, my doctor told me last week). 

Halo Top Ice Cream 

Sometimes, we all need ice cream. It doesn’t matter how old we get or how fat we become, there will always be a time when ice cream is necessary. In these times of absolute demand, why not at least try to make it healthy? Halo Top is low in calories, packed with protein, and at least some of the flavors (my favorites are Candy Bar and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough) taste close enough to the real thing, leaving your cravings satisfied without the physical repercussions. 

Whether you decide to try these suggestions or those of your own, I wish you the best of luck on your diet going forward. Just remember that when you have a cheat day (or week – we all do), it is not the end of the world. There is always time to get back on track and when you do, these surprisingly delicious and incredibly health-conscious snacks will be there waiting for you. 

Faith Bartell

Delaware '23

Faith Bartell is a senior Media Communication major at the University of Delaware with minors in English, Economics, and Advertising. She is a lover of smiling, crying, laughing and of course, writing. She hopes to pursue all of the above in the future.
Contributor account