Crazy Laws in the State of Delaware

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

As University of Delaware students, we’re very familiar with certain Delaware laws such as no walking into a liquor store if you’re under 21 or even worse, no jaywalking. While students tend to complain about these laws among others, there are several lesser known Delaware laws that students and even residents may not be as familiar with that we should be aware of.

1. It is illegal to wear pants that are “firm fitting” around the waist.

Someone needs to tell every girl on Cleveland on a Saturdage that they not only can get an underage violation, but that they also need to make sure their pants are not too “firm fitting”.

2. No person shall change clothes in his or her vehicle.

Even in the comfort of your own vehicle, your clothes need to stay the same.

3. Changing into or out of a bathing suit in a public restroom is prohibited

This seems to be an extension to the previous law proving that the state of Delaware can be very strict about their changing locations. Try to keep that wet bathing suit on during formal season this spring!

4. If you get married on a dare, you are legally allowed to get an annulment

Hope this doesn’t give any frat pledge masters any ideas!

5. No sales tax

This one is definitely a well known law because Delawarians of all ages celebrate it. This crazy law makes a visit to Christiana Mall well worth the visit.

Amanda Schuman is a junior at the University of Delaware. She is currently majoring in communications with a concentration in mass media and double minoring in journalism and interactive media. Amanda is passionate about all things communications whether it's social media, public relations, writing or just networking. In her free time she can be found watching sit-coms on Netflix, with a book in hand or eating anything sweet. You can follow her @bluehen_amanda