A College Playlist for the Emotional College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

In the world of collegiate-level study, your parents drop you off, and basically “it’s a hard-knock life.” There are constant assignments, group projects, tests, labs, quizzes, etc. Along with class-overload are relationships, friendships, clubs and activities, parties, volunteer-trips, internships, other jobs, and family to deal with as well. When life makes me overwhelmed, I hide away in our convenient student centers, Perkins or Trabant; or find a cozy corner to sit and play my Spotify playlists. I have a playlist for almost every emotion I am experiencing, and I’m sure I am not alone in relying on music to keep my head from spinning off and out of control.

The next time you are walking around “the Green,” getting ready for a special event, getting coffee with friends on Main Street, or are studying in the library, be sure to use music as a means of connectivity, a stress-reliever, or a fun-enhancer. I know that without music, I would be in shambles, and below I have placed some great songs under each emotional category. Feel free to check them out, and experiment with these jewels that I have discovered over the years. Hopefully, they will coordinate with inevitable emotions that may wash over you during the upcoming days or weeks! Enjoy!

• Feeling Lonely or Mopey? Check out this gem from the classic rock trio, The Police; lead singer, Sting, does a great job of vocally modeling lonely disdain:
    • So Lonely– the Police (1978)
  • Feeling Excited and bubbly?  Take a gander at this delightful tune from popular 1990s movie, Clueless:
    • Alright– Supergrass (1995) 
  • Feeling Flirty? Get down to this sweet R&B tune from Baltimore native, Mario, in 2004
    • Let Me Love You– Mario (2004)
  • Ready to party? Jam-out to the spunky song by Andre 3000 and Big Boi; this song off of their diamond-certified 2003 album Speakerboxxx/The Love Below is sure to be familiar and never disappoints
    • Hey Ya! – Outkast (2003)

• Feeling romantic or dramatic, desiring to flip on a ROM-COM on? Well you can have two-in-one with Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner’s 1992 flick, The Bodyguard; Houston’s famous rendition of I Will Always Love You will definitely bring you to tears:
    • I Will Always Love You– Whitney Houston (1992)
  • Stressed and aggravated? Instead of being modern and choosing the popular Twenty-one Pilots song, I have opted to go for a boy band classic that talks about revenge:
    • It’s Gonna Be Me– NSYNC (2000)
  • Strut your stuff and be confident to this 2001 R&B hit, with an original Stevie Nicks beginning riff:
    • Bootylicious– Destiny’s child (2001)
  • Dosing off or feeling Tired? Try to nap to this “golden oldie,” by classic British band, The Kinks:
    • Tired of Waiting for You– The kinks (1965)
  • Channeling your inner Buddha? Relax in your dorm, and kick back to this 1980 Reggae hit:
    • Could You Be Loved– Bob Marley and the Wailers (1980)
  • Feeling nostalgic, wanting to go back to the days when your parents called the shots? Grab your friends and make synchronized, boy-band dance moves to BSB’s 1999 hit:
    • I Want It That Way– Backstreet Boys (1999)

Hi! I currently attend Towson University with a double major in English and Mass Communication. I am actively involved on campus, and hope to inspire and aid as many collegiate women readers as possible.