brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Celeb: Carmela Dow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is quite the fashionista, to say the least. Carmela Dow, currently a sophomore at UD is on the prowl for the hottest trends on campus. Not only is she involved in the fashion community, but she has recently created her own blog, phillysistersstyle.tumblr.com, and Instagram, @trendy4tmrw, becoming a rising social media presence. Her sites consist of self-directed and styled photoshoots, along with snapshots of fellow students and their unique attire. So make sure you always dress to impress, because you never know when your style will be put to the test!

HC: What are you studying and what do you plan on doing with your degree?

CD: “I am currently an apparel design major interested in getting a business administration minor. Most people in my major decide to go into design, but I would like to go into to trend forecasting, styling, hopefully for a fashion magazine, or a career as a buyer in the fashion industry.”

HC: How are you involved in the fashion world here at UD?

CD: “I recently began an Instagram account/blog page that is devoted solely to campus fashion and street style. I emphasize on current trends throughout the student body, which also include some of my own outfits of the day. I recently accepted a position as a UDress stylist, where I have the opportunity to pick out clothes inspired by specific themes for photo shoots. I will also be attending a HerCampus fashion show, in DC as a member of the press coverage team, which I am really excited about.”

HC: What is your end goal for your Instagram account/ blog page? Where did the name come from?

CD: “I came up with the name trendy4tmrw, because I feel that the fashion trends of the future are inspired by the combination of street style and individuality. My goals for both my blog and Instagram account are to continue the growth of my follower base and promote and share everyday fashion, because to me, the most interesting fashion comes from personal style rather than the runway.”

HC: If you could give one essential piece of fashion advice to someone, what would it be?

CD: “I would say not to get so caught up in what everyone else is wearing. It’s so important to learn the difference between trends and style, because style will look good in any decade, but trends fade, so figure out what types of styles you like and be true to yourself.”

HC: How would you describe your personal style?

CD: “I would describe my style as a combination of cute-ugly and vintage meets new age. I love thrifting and finding unique treasures and items that no one else will have. I am all about being original and respecting the classics of fashion. My wardrobe essentials are my all white Adidas and denim jacket, because they are timeless.”

HC: What kind of experience do you have in the fashion industry?

CD: “I spent my summer working in Greene Street consignment in Philadelphia, where I had the opportunity to dress mannequins, create displays with merchandise, and help style customers. It was a great way to gain knowledge about fashion business and sustainability in the industry.”

HC:What caused you to be so passionate about fashion?

CD: “I have been picking out my own outfits since kindergarten. It has always been my favorite part of the day. I was inspired by my grandmother who used to work as a costume designer, because she was extremely innovative. My other grandmother taught me how to sew in 9th grade and since then I would go to thrift stores to buy clothing to upcycle my wardrobe and make it everything a little bit more interesting.”

Check out Carmela’s blog here!

Amanda Schuman is a junior at the University of Delaware. She is currently majoring in communications with a concentration in mass media and double minoring in journalism and interactive media. Amanda is passionate about all things communications whether it's social media, public relations, writing or just networking. In her free time she can be found watching sit-coms on Netflix, with a book in hand or eating anything sweet. You can follow her @bluehen_amanda