This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

About a week ago, I woke up, yawned and then gasped at the feeling of my lips cracking as I opened my mouth. My lips had never been so dry, and my Coconut Pear Burt’s Bees Lip Balm was of no help – like a drop of water on an already dead plant. I felt uncomfortable and embarrassed. I actually thanked God for masks. Needless to say, I ran to Walgreens and spent about $50 on lip care products. Here are some of the products that helped transform my “Game of Thrones” greyscale to thankfully softer, actually human lips. 

1. Vaseline

Vaseline was a simple solution that I bypassed immediately. It wasn’t until I called my mom and explained the situation that I realized a plain petroleum jelly had the potential to work wonders. And it did. Applying a thin layer of Vaseline every morning and night has helped protect my lips against the elements. Not today, Jack Frost. Not today.

2. Burt’s Bees Unscented Rescue Balm With Turmeric

It’s really important to use a lip balm without fragrance when applying it for primarily restorative purposes. While my Coconut Pear Burt’s Bees didn’t make the cut – at least not in this climate, – their rescue balm served as an effective and consistent source of moisture to reapply throughout the day.

3. Aquaphor Lip Repair

Similar to Burt’s Bees Rescue Balm, this product is great for regular, throughout-the-day use. Featuring shea butter and chamomile essence, Aquaphor not only sounds delicious, but is a must for anyone seeking immediate relief. 

4. Burt’s Bees Conditioning Lip Scrub

Yes, this is another Burt’s Bees product, but it’s also an amazing treatment for flareups caused by the weather, allergies or eczema. I’ve applied it twice in the past week, and it’s helped lock in the moisture generated by the other products I’ve tried. It’s also super sweet and tastes good on the off-chance that you get it in your mouth and don’t immediately spit it out. Not that that’s happened to me… twice.

5. Burt’s Bees Overnight Intensive Lip Treatment

Okay, if Burt’s Bees sponsored me, I wouldn’t be upset about it, but I promise that’s not the sole reason I’m writing this article. This overnight treatment actually works and is probably the best product I’ve tried. After applying it for the first time, I woke the next morning, yawned and certainly didn’t gasp at my cracking lips. In fact, my lips were smoother than they’d been in a while and felt this way all day. 

6. Water

This might sound obvious, but I’m going to say it anyway. Dehydration causes dry skin, including chapped lips. So, get yourself a Britta and gulp down a few gallons. That’s a little intense, but I had to go for the consonance. 

Everyone’s lips are different, but these are the products that worked for me. Find out what works best for you, and keep your lips hydrated – and safe – this mistletoe season. 

Faith Bartell

Delaware '23

Faith Bartell is a senior Media Communication major at the University of Delaware with minors in English, Economics, and Advertising. She is a lover of smiling, crying, laughing and of course, writing. She hopes to pursue all of the above in the future.
Contributor account