3 Reasons Why You Should Shop With Small Businesses This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

I think it’s safe to say that this year has been especially difficult for a lot of people. People that own small businesses had a particularly difficult time trying to stay afloat. Here are 3 reasons why you should shop with small businesses this holiday season. 

1. You can find really unique items. 

A lot of businesses sell handcrafted items, especially when it comes to jewelry, artwork, clothing or home items. By having these items be handcrafted, they are almost always unique, and you can find really interesting pieces that you won’t be able to find in a big commercial store. 

2. You can find a small business for everything.

No matter what you’re shopping for, there is most likely a small store that sells it. Personally, I love shopping locally, but sometimes they don’t have what I need, which is when I turn to online shopping with small businesses. Some of my favorite places to look for small stores are Etsy, Poshmark, TikTok and Instagram. 

3. It really helps out these businesses.

It is really important for these businesses to make a lot of sales around the holidays. While some people only run small businesses as a side hobby, others really rely on them and can depend on them to support themselves or their families. It has also been shown that profits from small and local businesses are more likely to go back into local economies, while profits from commercial businesses aren’t as likely to do so. 

Definitely keep small businesses in mind this holiday season when you’re shopping. This may mean you need to shop a little bit earlier than usual – no last-minute gifts! It can also go a long way to just share content from some of your favorite local businesses. 

Caitlin is a Senior at the University of Delaware. Her major is International Relations and she has minors in History, International Business, and Social Justice. When she's not writing for Her Campus you can find Caitlin running around campus (most likely with an iced coffee in hand) or with her friends.
Contributor account