Chocolate Chips
Chocolate Chips
Christin Urso / Spoon
Wellness

3 Healthy Desserts That Won’t Make You Break Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

Acne has been something I have struggled with since I was 12-years-old. Between random flare ups that lasted months, various kinds of acne medications and a hyper-awareness of every little blemish on my face, acne was the absolute bane of my existence throughout middle and high school. What was perhaps worse, however, was my inability to actually figure out what was the cause of these obnoxious flare ups.

It wasn’t until 2020, during the COVID-19 quarantine to be exact, – because what better way to pass the time than to determine the sole cause of my acne – that I finally figured out that it was chocolate that was the ultimate culprit of my pesky break outs. As someone who adores chocolate, this information was simultaneously helpful and heartbreaking. 

Eating chocolate was my form of self-care! My reward for getting through another day! My motivation for the daily runs! How was I going to be able to find a dessert that would stifle my urge for chocolate consumption, but not cause a breakout?

Here are my top 3 desserts that won’t make you break out!

1. My go-to dessert is Chobani peach yogurt with chocolate-covered pretzels. Now I know what you’re thinking, She just said chocolate makes her break out, so how can she eat chocolate-covered pretzels? Well, I’m glad you asked. I only put three chocolate pretzels into a plastic bag, crush them and then pour them into the yogurt! It’s so simple, and what’s even better is the chocolate content isn’t enough to cause a breakout!

2. If I’m craving something a little creamier, I usually go for Halo Top ice cream, specifically the Mint Chip flavor. I get that chocolate hit from the chocolate chips in the ice cream, and it’s definitely enough to satisfy the chocolate cravings!

3. Sometimes the last thing I want is chocolate, so I’ll usually go for something apple-cinnamon related, maybe an apple fritter or slice of apple pie. Warm that up, and top with a little vanilla ice cream? There’s nothing better.

Hopefully, you’ll find these acne-free chocolate alternatives as delicious as I do!

Haley Carr

Delaware '22

Haley is a junior at the University of Delaware majoring in International Relations with a concentration in Diplomacy and a specialization in Europe. She is minoring in Human Development/Family Sciences and Journalism. She hopes work with underprivileged or displaced children after serving in the Peace Corps upon graduation.
Contributor account