Spring Break: Flip or Flop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Spring break is a week full of fun, water, sun, friends, parties and last but certainly not least, alcoholic beverages flowing. It’s been weeks in the making and you’ve been going that extra mile on the treadmill and squatting your way to that perfect bikini bod. Expectations are high and inhibitions are low.

In lieu of that, I have devised a list of what I call common “Flips or Flops” for a guide of what to do and more importantly what NOT to do, respectively, to make sure that this coveted college experience ends up as a successful rite of passage.

Flip: Wearing sun tan lotion        

Every girl wants to get that beach bronzed glow. Keep in mind that you’ll have multiple days to work on that tan and hours upon hours to soak up the sun. Pace yourself. SPF is your friend.

Flop: Burning to a crisp

The sunburnt look is not for everyone…or anyone.

Flip: The Monokini

While everyone will be exposing themselves in more ways than one, you will be bringing sexy back in your one piece. I can guarantee you jaws will drop.

Flop: Tankini’s

Mary-Kate and Ashley wore it well in the 90s. Enough said.

Flip: Having a personalized jug

It’ll keep you money saavy and safe. Sharing or exchanging drinks can be risky. Better to be safe than sorry.

Flop: Spending too much money at that bar

You’ll be crying when you get back because you won’t be making any trips to get sushi with your friends from Oriental after all the damage is done.

Flip: Taking pictures

You can have the time of your life on Spring Break, there’s nothing wrong with wanting to document all of the fun.

Flop: Posting all of them

Your future employer doesn’t want to see you funneling out of your pink funnel. Keep it PG-13.

Flip: Makeup

Wearing makeup at the pool or on the beach is not a bad thing, as long as it is done in moderation. Achieve the natural look. Bronzer is the key.

Flop: Caking it on

Save the fake lashes for night time wear, no one wants foreign objects floating in the pool.  

Wishing all you collegiettes a safe and fun spring break, cheers!

My name is Bianka Horvath. I am currently a Communication major with a Business minor at the University of Connecticut. My family and friends are my world, my dreams are what drive me, and succeeding is my passion.