This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

It’s hard to believe that Selena Gomez has grown from playing rebellious, yet undeniably cool, Alex Russo, to being the executive producer of a new documentary series, “Living Undocumented”. Premiering on October 2nd on Netflix, these films share the stories of 8 immigrant families in America as they undergo daily life, undocumented. 

In this documentary, Selena gives a voice to a group of people facing discrimination who aren’t being heard, and desperately need to be listened to. On September 17 Selena shared on Instagram “These are real people in your community, your neighbors, your friends-they are all part of the country we call home.”

In honor of her new documentary, here is an update on what Selena Gomez has been recently up to: 

Last week, Selena revisited her childhood home of Texas. Returning to her roots, Selena went to her old middle school, giving advice to the current students. “It’s really hard, but it’s worth it,” Selena shared with the young teens.  

Gomez has once again been raw and relatable, recently opening up about her own mental health. While receiving an award at the McLean Hospital’s Annual Dinner, she shared “It felt like all of my pain and my anxiety washed over me all at once and it was one of the scariest moments of my life.” Selena went on to explain how she is healthier now, after she sought out the help that she needed. This is such an important message for today’s youth to remember, that it’s ok and crucial to get the help you deserve. 

An interview with Gomez’s costar David Henrie with ET Live, spurred talk of a Wizards of Waverly Place reboot. The two openly shared that they have ideas, and want it to happen. Our dream of seeing the Russo family back together again, could become a reality! 

Selena Gomez is still working on music, but the question is, when will we get to hear it? Selena told fans on Instagram Stories, “I’m working on it.” For now we will just have to listen to Bad Liar and Back to You on repeat, and be patient. Remember, as hard as it is to wait, it is so important that Selena stays true to herself and she should take all the time she needs.  A role model of mine since childhood, Selena Gomez and the Scene being one of the first (and best) concerts I have ever experienced, (Yes, that is me with the pink digital camera, At the 2011 We Own the Night Tour) I am so excited to see what she does next. One thing is for sure, Selena will continue to be one incredibaly powerful female figure.

Check out Selena’s “Living Undocumented” on Netflix on October 2.

Kate Luongo

U Conn '21

I am a junior English Major and WGSS Minor at UConn!