My Experience as a Rent the Runway Campus Representative

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% our own.

Over Winter break this past year, I was scrolling through my feed when a girl I follow posted on her Instagram that Rent the Runway was taking applications for Spring semester campus representatives. I had always heard good reviews of people using Rent the Runway for prom dresses and other special occasions, so I decided to do a little more research on the opportunity. After filling out a brief application, and making a short video talking about my ideas for the brand at UConn, I soon found myself in the position of a “Rep”. I had no idea the opportunities this experience would bring me in just a few short weeks.

If you’re not familiar with Rent the Runway, it is a company that was founded in 2009 that recently became a female-owned billion dollar business.  Their site has over 200+ brands to choose from including Adidas, Kate Spade, and Gucci, and offer styles ranging from athleisure to formal ball gowns. Their idea is to create a “closet in the cloud” for customers who have the choice to either rent select items at a time, or choose  from the two monthly membership options available. “RTR Update” allows you to choose four items each month for $89, and “RTR Unlimited” allows four items at a time as many times per month as you would like for $159. Both options can be canceled or paused at any time! The best part is that they include both a shipping label and a garment bag or box to send items back in and they do the dry cleaning of the items for you! What more could a college girl ask for?!

Since becoming a representative, I have met so many amazing people and gained hands on experience in the fashion and marketing field that no class could have given me. The campus team at UConn makes up five girls and we meet once a month for meetings to discuss our responsibilities. These include posting the clothes on Instagram, hosting events, and spreading the word on campus about the brand. The company's headquarters in the New York City also has a completely separate marketing team that works with campus representatives. They host insight panels which can be screened on your laptop and also in person events at their main office in the garment district. They are also extremely helpful with customizing discount codes for your campus team and helping you with any problems or events!

Overall, my experience as a Campus Representative for Rent the Runway has been incredible. It has opened my eyes to the world of fashion marketing and given me a taste of what it would be like to work for this type of company after graduation. The headquarters is very personable with their campus teams, which allows you to not only build connections, but form relationships with their employees. If you love clothes, social media, and expanding your networks and friendships, I encourage you to look into being a Campus Representative as well!

The founders of Rent the Runway.

Are you a college student interested in trying out Rent the Runway? You’re in luck! Starting March 28th, 2019, the company is offering a student discount including 25% off of their “RTR Update” Subscription and “RTR Reserve” items which allow you to rent singular items at a time (like formal dresses!) with no commitment. So you can use that extra money to spend less and do more!