This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

In today’s world, mental health issues are a prevalent issue on all college campuses. With the current pandemic, studies have found these issues to be even more common among many students. We often see that there is a stigma associated with getting help when going through these hard times. People sometimes choose to suffer silently and alone rather than speaking to a mental health professional due to embarrassment, shame, hesitation, or simply not knowing where to start when looking for help. It is unfortunate that students experience this pain and as a university, there must be more encouragement for students to seek out therapy. 

UConn’s department of Student Health and Wellness (SHaW) has multiple resources for students which begin with a screening assessment. A university therapist will ask the student a variety of questions to see what brings them in, what they have been experiencing, and what the next steps are to help that student. Based on the screening assessment, the student will either be directed to individual counseling, group therapy, or psychiatric services which involve medicine. SHaW also offers drop-in sessions and yoga/meditation/mindfulness classes which might be ideal for students looking to vent for a shorter period of time. To access these services and more, visit https://studenthealth.uconn.edu/mental-health/ or call 860-486-4700. 

In previous times, some students have voiced their frustration with the wait time for obtaining these appointments and services. For this reason, there is a section on the mental health services website for “crisis support” which offers immediate help for students in need. Additionally, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 800-273-8255 and offers 24/7 help for anyone expericing suicidal thoughts or emotional trauma. 

This being said, some individuals may prefer to seek therapy outside of UConn’s services by doing their own personal research. The website Psychology Today offers a directory of numerous therapists which can be filtered according to your location. Each therapist has a profile listing their specialties, background information, and other important provider information. Psychology Today is just one example but there are many resources online for finding a good therapist such as Better Help, Therapy Tribe, and Good Therapy. Typically, these websites list the insurance plans which each therapist has coverage for which helps make therapy more attainable on a frequent basis. Another way to find this help would be speaking with your general practitioner, or any doctor that you trust, and asking for a recommendation. 

One of the most important things students can do if struggling with mental health and needing guidance for getting therapy is relying on your social support. If there is a family member or close friend that you confide in, be honest and communicate with them so that you can have someone by your side while getting the help you need. The hardest part can often be getting yourself to realize that therapy is actually needed. Once you come to this realization and begin therapy, the long term benefits outweigh the hesitations and any feeling of doubt or shame will likely vanish. Now is the time to work as a society to remove the stigma associated with therapy and start normalizing mental health and wellness.

Caroline is a Senior at UConn majoring in Communications with a minor in Human Development & Family Studies. She is interested in working with social media management, Marketing and Public Relations. In her free time you could find her binge-watching her favorite shows, spending time with friends, and making Spotify playlists.