you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

How to Find the Perfect Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

1. Build a LinkedIn profile

Linkedin is a great tool that both students and professionals use for networking, recruiting and applying to jobs. It is a networking service that allows you to build a professional profile that you can share with recruiters. This profile essentially builds off of your resume and lets you share more details about your professional and academic career. Linkedin has many useful features such as allowing you to connect with other users, follow companies, post photos, share links, and more. Through LinkedIn, you can also search for internships and jobs near you and filter internships that relate to your major and interests. An awesome feature is quick apply which lets you apply to jobs directly through LinkedIn!

2. Get your resume critiqued at the Center for Career Development

Your resume is what allows a recruiter to initially decide whether or not you meet the qualifications for the job they are recruiting for. It is a recruiter’s first impression of you. It’s definitely important to make sure your resume is formatted correctly and has all the right information on it. The Center for Career Development is a great resource available on campus that is there for all your career related questions and needs. They offer resume critiquing which is a great resource that everyone should take advantage of. The CCD can help you create and tailor your resume for jobs, internships, or other applications.

3. Create a cover letter template then modify it towards the company you are applying to

Many companies require that you send in a cover letter along with a resume when you apply for a position. A cover letter allows you to expand on your resume and get more personal. You can tell the hiring manager why you are an ideal candidate for the position, why you are passionate for the position, and expand on other qualifications and experience you have that makes you stand out from other applicants. The CCD has information on their website on tips on how to create a cover letter but you can also get it critiqued in person. There also many resources and examples of how to format a cover letter for your major online.

4. Go to career fairs and be confident!

Career fairs can seem intimidating but are the perfect place to talk to many companies at once. Definitely do your research before going to the career fair! The list of companies that are coming are listed before hand on CCD. Find the top companies that interest you and take notes on what they do. Have questions ready that you can ask recruiters when meeting them in person and the fair. It shows them that you are genuinely interested and have done your research. Smile and be confident when talking to recruiters! Confidence goes a long way.

5. Practice your elevator speech/pitch

An elevator pitch is a quick summary of your background and experience. This is perfect for career fairs because you only have a short amount of time to talk to the recruiter. It is a great way to make yourself stand out and should make the recruiter interested in moving on to the next stage which would be having an interview.

6. Network, network, network!

Networking is the best way to grow your professional network and find great internships. Network through professionals you may already know, family friends, friends, and by joining clubs on campus! You never know where you may find an opportunity! Until you go out and meet other people you won’t know about the opportunities that are out there.

8. Apply!

Once your resume and cover letter is ready, it’s time to apply! Use LinkedIn, glassdoor, and even a simple google search to find internships that are open near you. Make sure to keep in mind all the deadlines so that you don’t miss out on a chance to intern at your dream company!

7. Create accounts on glassdoor and internships.com

Glassdoor is a great website to find opportunities for internships near you, read reviews that current/former employees have written about the company, get more information on the interview process, and an approximate salary the company would give you. Internships.com is also a great resource to search for companies and get matched with companies that you meet the qualifications for.

9. Practice for the interview! Be prepared by doing research on the company.

Interviews may seem intimidating but the best way to ace them is by showing up prepared! A quick google search will allow you to find sample interview questions that you may be asked during an interview. Try to practice how you would answer these questions in a mock interview. The CCD is a great place to go for help on how to prepare for interviews. The more you practice, the better prepared you will be during the interview. Websites, such as glassdoor, provide experiences other people have had while interviewing with the company you are looking into. These reviews and posts will prepare you and you’ll know what to expect when you show up to the interview. Make sure you’re on time and have a copy of your resume on hand.

10. Dress to impress!

Don’t judge a book by its cover but definitely dress professionally when going to career fairs and interviews. There are many resources online such as glassdoor that can give you further details on what the dress code is for the company you are interested in. Talking to professionals you know to check if your outfit is acceptable is also a great way to make sure your outfit is interview ready!

Cover image source