Easy Breezy Beautiful, First Male COVERGIRL

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

James Charles is a 17-year-old makeup artist with incredible talent, who actually started his makeup journey only a year ago. You’ve probably seen him before if you’re on any sort of social media. On September 6, 2016 he broke the internet with pictures from his second round of senior pictures. He decided he needed to bring his ring light to the shoot so his highlight “would be poppin.” This set of pictures went viral, posted on Buzzfeed, BET, Mashable, Glamour and many more.

On his Instagram, @jamescharles, he posted an image on October 8, 2016, about his glow up and how much he has grown and improved as both a person and artist. He proceeded to thank his 400,000+ followers that he has gained over the past year. Now he is surpassing 600,000 followers on Instagram and 90,000 subscribers on YouTube. 

Just a few days after his celebratory one-year anniversary post, he posted about his excitement about becoming the first ever male ambassador for CoverGirl. He just completed his first TV commercial for CoverGirl which will be airing very soon.

CoverGirl also posted about the new face they were adding to the diverse mix of people that are currently fronting their campaigns. However, there seemed to be mixed reviews in the comments. CoverGirl commented, “We support anyone and everyone who wants to express themselves with makeup. COVERGIRL believes in beauty for all, and we’re proud to welcome James Charles to the family. We do not tolerate bullying on our Instagram page, and per our community rules will remove any profanity or content considered defamatory.”

In a press release, the brand explained why they choose him: “All of our CoverGirls are role models and boundary-breakers, fearlessly expressing themselves, standing up for what they believe, and redefining what it means to be beautiful,” read the statement. “James Charles is no exception. One year ago, he boldly chose to launch his Instagram to the world, using transformative, dynamic makeup looks to showcase the many facets of his personality, serving as an inspiration to anyone who might have been afraid to do the same.” 

When I asked my fellow Collegiettes what they thought about James Charles, they had this to say:

Lily Zappulla: “I cannot express enough how much I love CoverGirl and their newest model, James Charles! In a time where women’s rights, thoughts, and expressions are deeply controlled and criticized, this is a brave and very important move on CoverGirl’s part. I can’t wait to see what the future has in store.”

Kimmie McGuire: “His eyebrows are on point.”

Olivia Piper: “I think it’s fantastic! It demonstrates that makeup is for everyone and places real value in self-expression, which is definitely not valued enough in our country today. This is a bold and beautiful step for CoverGirl.”

Anvita Reddy: “His brows inspire me to a whole new level… His highlight DEFINES glow … The fact that CoverGirl endorsed him means that the usage of make up for both women and men is becoming normalized. It also gives makeup a positive light. Makeup is primarily used to enhance one’s appearance or to cover up the blemishes. This is a milestone moment for people to realize that makeup is also a form of self-expression.”

What does this mean for the beauty industry?

No, CoverGirl is not the first makeup line to launch a campaign featuring a male model or spokesperson. Anastasia Beverly Hills released a campaign for their new Moonchild Glow Kit which features male models. Half of the models are men of color and are regally accessorized with crowns and armor. L’Oréal has also featured a man in an advertisement as it aimed to focus on a new tagline which celebrates diversity.  The Brant Brothers launched a line with Mac which includes eye shadow, lipstain, and sculpting cream. Makeup Geek partnered up with Manny Gutierrez to create an eyeshadow palette. But this change in the industry of males promoting makeup, or makeup being geared towards men can be considered a big movement, a change in the game.

Fashion has no rules. Makeup has no boundaries. Let us break the gender roles and get rid of the stereotypes, learn to empower each other, and build confidence.

Thumbnail Source