Being the Single Friend as Told by New Girl

At one point in all of our lives, we were probably “the single friend”. You know what I mean; when all of your friends are dating or in relationships or at least have a “special friend” to hang out with, while you’re sat at home, alone, watching Netflix in all of your single glory. Don’t get me wrong, being perpetually single can be really awesome; you get used to your own company, you get to know yourself really well, and you’re that strong, independent woman your momma raised you to be. But, hey, we’re human, and sometimes we get lonely. It doesn’t help when it seems like everywhere you look there’s a couple displaying a gross amount of PDA. So after all that Netflix viewing, we’ve discovered that the characters of New Girl can really sum up how it feels to be that 20-something year old spinster… 

When everyone wants to go on a “couple date” and you end up being the 5th wheel

After your friend and their significant other rub their cute, disgusting relationship in your face

When your friend comes home to find you in the same spot on the couch that they left you in

When you’re just a little bit in your feels

After watching your 5th rom-com of the night

When one of your family members asks if you’re finally seeing someone

After that blind date your friend set you up on, swearing that you’d hit it off 

When your therapy session starts to get a little too real 

Seeing the umpteeth couple making out in the middle of public

When you meet another single friend to commiserate with 

Getting real with your friends about how sh*tty other people can be 

Finally accepting that it’s just not your time and you’re not going to meet anyone anytime soon

How your Friday night usually goes

Forcing your friends to acknowledge National Singles Day, because yes, that’s a thing

When you've been out of practice for waaaay too long

And when someone finally asks you on a date

Good luck out there, fellow singles! Just know that the loft gang has your back.