4 Things That Happen After You Become Your Own Priority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Remember: It’s okay to be a little selfish. You need to take care of you.

1. You improve your physical and mental health

When you put your health above all else and start a healthy diet and exercise regimen, you automatically release brain chemicals like serotonin and endorphins. Endorphins often produce a post exercise high, or feeling of euphoria, which leads to reduction in stress and anxiety. Serotonin, another neurochemical released during exercise, is proven to reduce symptoms of depression as well. By putting yourself first, you improve self-esteem, experience enhanced moods, and even improve memory. GO YOU!

2. You become more independent

When you put yourself first, superficial relationships become of less importance to you. Friendships become less about quantity and more about quality, and the most important relationship becomes the one you have with yourself. You can maintain finances without help from parents, go to parties without friends attached at the hip, and appreciate a walk or movie on your own. Sometimes the best company we have is ourselves.

3. Life is less about pleasing those around you and more about pleasing yourself

Once you’ve achieved self-love status, you realize that perfection is just not obtainable. Life is less about appearing perfect for those around you and more about making yourself as happy as you can. It’s okay to retake a class, it’s okay to take a gap year… or two, and it’s okay to eat that extra slice of pizza. Take the major that you want to study in, travel after college before finding a job, and eat the foods that you want to eat, for yourself and no one else.

4. You find someone who appreciates you for you

When it comes to romantic relationships, putting your wants and needs first is a key to a long lasting and successful relationship. Individuals that have negative self-views are more likely to be drawn to individuals who view themselves similarly. This can lead to a relationship full of adversity and distrust. Whereas, if you become a confident self-loving individual, you will attract someone with similar attitudes, creating a relationship founded on assurance. You must fall in love with yourself first before you have the ability to fall in love with others.

Cover Image Source