Spotlight: The Cults

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

You’ve seen the line-up, listened to Ludacris’ Chicken-N-Beer album on replay, and thought back to the first time you ever heard Luda’s infamous song: “What’s your Fantasy.” But from all of the Luda excitement, you forgot about the other two amazing bands also playing Spring Breeze: The Cults and Neon Indian.
This week’s spotlight is on The Cults.

Unless you’re into Indie Pop, you probably have never heard of ‘em. But, the Cults are ranked high on the Pitchfork music scale, coming in with an 8.5 ranking for their self-titled album. The same album was ranked 46 on Pitchfork’s Top 50 Albums of 2011.

Underneath their catchy sound, their lyrics are paired with actual meaning, unlike most pop songs on the radio now (does “Call me Maybe” ring a bell?) Unexpected artists influence their sound and their songs are filled with  elements not found in contemporary pop. However, some might still think they’re just another pop group. One reason they’re not is their recent remix with Freddie Gibbs, which displays the Cult’s love for hip-hop, and their willingness to break out of the pop bubble that some listeners may have put them in. Check ‘em out at Summer Breeze; once you hear them it’ll be harder than you think to control your impulsive dance moves. See ya there!

Sources: http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/8727-the-top-50-albums-of-2011/