Why You Should Watch ‘Wildest Dreams’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

Taylor Swift premiered her music video for “Wildest Dreams” a week ago during the VMA’s preshow, and MAN was I excited. Even if you don’t like Taylor Swift, I feel like you have to admit she has an amazing talent for entertainment – and this music video was no exception. If you only take away three things from the video, here’s what they should be: Scott Eastwood, black hair, and some incredible shots of African nature.

I think the reason this video is my new fav (besides it featuring The Hunk, Scott Eastwood) is because Taylor doesn’t get the boy in the end, like most of her other music videos. In the video, Eastwood and Swift are actors in a romance movie set in Africa, circa 1950, and have a short passionate love affair. But when Swift shows up for the movie premiere, Eastwood is there with another girl. Swift eventually leaves very upset, even though Eastwood attempts to chase her down.

I love how what was played out in the video really rang true to the lyrics of the song; “Say you’ll remember me standing in a nice dress starin’ at the sunset babe…… say you’ll see me again even if it’s just in your wildest dreams.” Swift’s character knew their relationship couldn’t ever work, but she knows their memories will still last a life time. *cries uncontrollably*

On to the more light-hearted subjects of the video, yay! Taylor rocked an out of character look for the video by pulling off black hair. At first I was really unsure about this look, because it did not really look like her at all. But after watching the video, it grew on me. It really ties in well with the fifties theme because of raven-haired 50’s icons like Elizabeth Taylor and Audrey Hepburn.

Also, I 100% want to go on a trip to Africa now. The setting of this video is simply breathtaking. During the first chorus Swift and Eastwood are standing atop this amazing waterfall, and in another shot Swift is standing in this gorgeous, flowing, yellow dress with a giraffe in the background. During the repeat of the chorus, Eastwood and Swift are flying over the magnificent African plains. The African scenery ends after the bridge of the song, where Swift is shown sitting in front of a majestic lion along with some shots of elephants, zebras, and a cheetah.

If you can’t tell by now, I am in love with this video and want you to love it too! So check out the video here:

Anna Thrash is a sophmore at the University of Arkansas and is pursuing a major in broadcast journalism. She is member of Alpha Omicron Pi and played clarinet in the Razorback Marching Band. Anna joined the Her Campus team in 2015, and when she's not writing she loves traveling and cooking.